Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Temporary Parking Area

I have some raw land which I bought and plan to build on in about a year. I have a "camp site" of sorts setup just to visit and enjoy on the weekends. Well, last weekend the rains came and my poor little Ford Ranger got stuck. So I'm curious what I could do to provide a place to park without the risk of getting stuck in the mud. I haven't worked out the details of where I'll be putting my house or the future parking area or anything so I'm not ready to pay for the dump trucks to bring in gravel and all that. Just want to keep from getting stuck again. I just need an area large enough to park my Ranger. Any ideas?

TheGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

Temporary Parking Area

Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Temporary Parking Area

Don't go up when it rains.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,944

Temporary Parking Area

Call a tree trimmer or landscape outfit and tell them you will take all of the free wood chips that they have-----
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,140

Temporary Parking Area

Plant some grass. Buy a 4-wheel drive.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,152

Temporary Parking Area

What would be perfect is to make up your mind on where this house is going and build the real driveway now. At least get the base for it laid.
You'll be sorry if you put it off and the huge trucks can not get to the site or the employees needed to build it are tearing up the whole yard trying to find a place to park.

Guess whos going to be paying for it if one of those trucks gets stuck?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Nest Home Improvement

Rewards Points: 75

Temporary Parking Area

I have seen old plywood scrape sheets used for this. It only takes a few sheets to make a parking pad.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Temporary Parking Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriff View Post
I have some raw land which I bought and plan to build on in about a year. I have a "camp site" of sorts setup just to visit and enjoy on the weekends. Well, last weekend the rains came and my poor little Ford Ranger got stuck. So I'm curious what I could do to provide a place to park without the risk of getting stuck in the mud. I haven't worked out the details of where I'll be putting my house or the future parking area or anything so I'm not ready to pay for the dump trucks to bring in gravel and all that. Just want to keep from getting stuck again. I just need an area large enough to park my Ranger. Any ideas?
Ayuh,.... Have a contractor bring in a load of gravel,...

Knock it around, 'n flatten it enough to park on....

In the future, when the real driveway is put in, the temporary spot's gravel can be reused, or left where ya have it put...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 152

Temporary Parking Area

park in the road
HVACTECH96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Temporary Parking Area

Get some crushed concrete for the parking area and driveway to get there. You can always remove the crush after you decide where you want the house, an use it for base later for the drive when the house goes up.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Temporary Parking Area

Where are you located?

How-To Add or Edit Your Location

The reason I ask is because driving in mud is a lot like driving on ice and snow.

You may not need to create a parking area if you plan ahead. First, don't park so you have to begin by backing up. Parking in a spot you can pull straight out and get some momentum before having to turn your wheels is half the battle. If you're pointed downhill, that's another plus. And if you can find a spot that doesn't collect water you will probably be home free.

If you have enough room, create a loop you can drive around and park at the highest, driest point.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Temporary Parking Area

Sorry for my delayed reply. I think my reply email alerts are turned off or something. Anyway, a guy recommended crushed concrete. If I layed that down, could I move and reuse that later when the permanent spot is chosen?
TheGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Temporary Parking Area

Yes, just keep in mind that you end up scooping dirt when moving, but can be used for the base, when you go to lay the new base for your parking pad, or toy park area. Why let it go to waste, or cause you not to grow grass in that area later on.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote