Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #1

Share |

Teak floor joist spans

I am building my home in Costa Rica. US code shows a 9'9" span with 2x6 select treated pine @ 12" centers and 7'9" @ 24" centers. I will be using 2x6 (a true 2" X 6") teak joists and wanting to span 12' @ 24" centers. Will this work. I want a safe floor, sturdy and no deflection. The room above is a bedroom. The floor will be 3/4" teak tongue and groove. Anyone know if this is a safe span?

tropic home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
Log-Style Home Contractor

Teak floor joist spans

According to the American Wood Council, for a 12' span at L/360 deflection, 40psf live load and a 10psf dead load, you would need 2x8's on 16" o.c spacing or 2x10's on 24" o.c spacing. This is the calculation based on Southern Yellow Pine #2 grade. There is no listing for teak as a structural joist.

North Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
DIY'er

Teak floor joist spans

I am not familiar with teak construction but I can tell you, for a floor with any other type of lumber, 2"x6" (even if they are true) on 24" centers and a 12 ft span is not very good for what you want.
If you want a sturdy floor, I would go with at least 2x8's with 16" centers on a 12' span. Minimum.
I suppose you could "get away" with the floor you prepose, but I wouldnt...you only get one chance to build the house.

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."

Last edited by joasis; 11-15-2006 at 07:02 AM.
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Teak floor joist spans

I am not familiar with teak, but the fact you have full 2x6s is substantial. Teak is a wonderful wood for boats, but that does not always transfer to structural (stress and deflection) applications.

From a flexural stress standpoint, full 2x6s will give you 60% more strength than nominal 2x6s with the same type of wood.

Just because it is strong enough, does not mean it will be adequate. Deflection is also a big "feel" factor.

Without a lot of calculations, it seems like your 24" spacing is too great. I would reduce the spacing to something more conventional, even if it is done that way in Costa Rica.

What kind of flooring do you propose to span the 24"? - You will have better performance and options with 16"" or 12" on center.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #5

Teak floor joist spans

Thanks. I think I will look into 2x8s
tropic home is offline   Reply With Quote