Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #1

Share |

Tapering stairs at bottom to save space?

Hi folks,

We are currently working on specifying a set of stairs to go in our home. The space to the right of where the bottom of the stairs will land is a bit tight, and we are wondering whether we could "taper" (for lack of a better word) the last few stairs in order to open it up a bit.

We understand that newer code requires that the tread width be a minimum of 6". I'm trying to fish around to get some opinions as to whether something like the attached image would be out of the question or not.

If we pulled back the right side of each step, keeping them to a minimum of 6", this would open things up a bit compared to a standard "square" set of stairs.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Tapering stairs at bottom to save space?-taperedstairs_excerpt.jpg  
BeanAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

here's the 2009 International Residential Code requirement for winder treads http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...011_par011.htm you should verify with your building department your local code requirements. The International Residential Code is the basis for most state/local building codes.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

That's not a "winder". It appears you will be creating a fairly serious hazard.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #4

Does the 'minimum 6" tread rule' mean that stairs such as this are not allowed in US? Surely not?
The main functional requirement of stairs is that they should be safe to use. If there was a hand rail down to a newel at the taperd side, surely this would be OK?
Attached Thumbnails
Tapering stairs at bottom to save space?-mini-scan0190.jpg  

Last edited by tony.g; 08-01-2012 at 01:38 AM.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #5

Is there anyplace near you that sells/installs circular staircases? The treads on them are similar to the ones in your drawing.

I put a circular staircase in my house. Because they are not commonly seen these days, building inspectors often aren't up to speed on the codes that apply to them. When I applied for my building permit, I had to submit a whole bunch of data from the staircase kit manufacturer to show that it would be code compliant.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
STAFF

Unless your stairs are making a turn, the treads you have drawn won't pass code. The tread has to be standard width at the line of travel on winders, but the treads installed at an angle on a straight run won't fly.

The code here says spiral stairs can only be secondary, a main set of stairs has to exists, spiral stairs can't be the primary stairs.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
The code here says spiral stairs can only be secondary, a main set of stairs has to exists, spiral stairs can't be the primary stairs.
Interesting. Having lived with my spiral staircase for three years now, I actually understand why code might say that - they do take some getting used to. Fortunately, it doesn't where I live. I have a log house, and they are the only stairs we have.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
BigJim (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #8

[quote=jiju1943;978971]Unless your stairs are making a turn, the treads you have drawn won't pass code. quote]

Forgive me, as I'm not familiar with US codes, but are the dimensions stated in them prescriptive, ie is there legally no alternative to them.
The reason I ask is that our (UK) regs on stairs simply state; " stairs shall be designed, constructed and installed so as to be safe for people moving about the building"- To give guidance on what would be legally regarded as 'safe', we have published recommendations on minimum treads, risers, pitch etc.
However, the guidance we have states that safety can also depend on circumstances, and in single-family homes, people can get used to the stairs and they can be safe through familiarity. (this would not be the case, say, in a public building, where users would not be famiiar with the stairs).
It seems to me that if the OP has 2 or 3 tapered steps at the bottom of the flight, it would not necessarily be unsafe. I was just wondering if the codes allow this approach.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #9

tony,

like pretty much everything in the states there are rules, rules and even more regulations ..... winder stairs are allowed if they meet the precise requirements of the building code. years ago our codes were similar to yours it seems. now we have to protect everyone from everything. I recently worked on a project where the riser was 10 inches and the treads were 8 inches. talk about a tough set of stairs to climb, but they had been that way for over 200 years. Typically you need to get approval of the building official to repair a set of stairs before removing them. If they are removed prior to his approval it is no longer a repair, and the new stairs will have to comply with today's code requirements, which can be difficult in older buildings. (this is up to each inspector to determine if this is a repair or not, I've had inspectors require new code requirements).

I posted the requirements for winder stairs so that the OP could see the requirements. I do not believe he can configure the steps as indicated in his sketch, but I have been wrong before. What he wants to do is allowed for winder stairs, but there is no winder in his layout, just a straight run. I would highly recommend taking the sketch to the local building department and ask the building official if what you are proposing would be compliant before doing any actual work.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
tony.g (08-01-2012)