Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Tapcon Size?

I'm going to be using Tapcons to attached my pretreated 2x4 to my basement floor - any particular size I should be using?

Thanks

SnowUtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 150

Tapcon Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowUtopia View Post
I'm going to be using Tapcons to attached my pretreated 2x4 to my basement floor - any particular size I should be using?

Thanks
Probably something like the 1/4" x 3".

I prefer the RedHead wedge anchors myself.

comp1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Tapcon Size?

Do you have to pre-drill the 3/16" holes in the concrete before drilling in your 1/4" Tapcon/Redhead wedge or can you just drill the Tapcon in without the hole?
mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #4

Tapcon Size?

I have been told to drill the hole and then screw in the tapcon.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Tapcon Size?

You "have to" pre drill the hole, otherwise it will not go into the concrete. I hate tapcons...the are great for what they do...but also I've twisted off about as many as I've set successfully. I had the most success using a driver bit in the hammer drill. A standard 18V drill driver would just twist them off.

I really like to use the power fastener from Remington with the ACQ rated fasteners for basement wall plate installations, way faster than tapcons. I've used them many times, and have not had any problems.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 150

Tapcon Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
You "have to" pre drill the hole, otherwise it will not go into the concrete. I hate tapcons...the are great for what they do...but also I've twisted off about as many as I've set successfully. I had the most success using a driver bit in the hammer drill. A standard 18V drill driver would just twist them off.

I really like to use the power fastener from Remington with the ACQ rated fasteners for basement wall plate installations, way faster than tapcons. I've used them many times, and have not had any problems.
Yup this is the easiest.

I had access to a Hilti hammer drill so I drilled.

Tapcons are a pain to work with. The wedge anchors are a bit better and allow some fudge factor when squaring everything up. If you use the Remington you get one shot.

Last edited by comp1911; 06-17-2008 at 02:18 PM.
comp1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,110

Tapcon Size?

For not much more than a big box of tapcon, you can buy a ramset and use 22 shot and drive nails.
Much quicker than the tapcons!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #8

Tapcon Size?

how far apart should I put the tapcons into the floor?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tapcon Size?

If they're non-load-bearing walls, there isn't a code requirement for sole plate anchor spacing. I'd say no farther apart than 36", but that is a shot from the hip. Depends on the anchors you use. You definately want them at each side of splices in the sole plate and at both ends of every wall.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #10

Tapcon Size?

Just tried putting my first tapcons in and I drilled the hole through the pretreated 2x4 and into the concrete and the tapcon will not stay in the floor - It pulls right out of the floor. Should I use longer tapcons or am I doing something else wrong? Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,110

Tapcon Size?

Are you usiing the correct size bit?
You may have to drill a larger hole through the wood, mark the spot in the concrete and then drill for the tapcon.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Tapcon Size?

See post #5 above.

The right bit size is imperative.
A 3/16 tapcon uses a 5/32 screw hole, while a 1/4 tapcon uses a 3/16 hole. It's always best to check the depth of your hole before trying to drill...make sure you have an additional 1/2 beyond the length of the screw. With compressed air, blow the dust and crumbs from the hole before trying to screw them in. If they simply are not holding, try using one that is longer. Two-by material should use screws at least 2-3/4" long.

But again....seriously...use the Remington Power fastener....you would of been done by the time you you got your drill out and the first hole drilled. To each their own, good luck.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #13

Tapcon Size?

Rippy - thanks for the info. I talked to a couple contractor's last night and they all said the tapcons were not long enough. So at least 2-3/4? I was using the concrete bit that came in the pack of tapcons... I'm going to try the longer tapcons and if that doesn't work I will get the power fastener - I'm a glutton for punishment. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Tapcon Size?

You are wasting your time. I have used these and will not use anything else. the holding power can not be beat. Drill a 1/4 hole through the wood and into the concrete and just hammer them in you will need a large crow bar to remove them once there in. there call slit drive anchors, and come in all sizes. for 2x4 i would use the 3" good luck BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Tapcon Size?

I am brand new to this forum. I have read everyones input on Tapcons. I installing a garage door header ( 16 x 7 ) in a brick carport. I assume Tapcons are the only way to avoid breaking the bricks. It will not be load bearing in any way ( using 2 x 12 anyway ) but how many fasteners ( and construction adhesive ? ) should I use per foot ?

Thanks guys

The Project Guy is offline   Reply With Quote