TapCon And DriCore - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

TapCon and DriCore

alright I am running into a very frustrating problem... to put carpet over dricore you are supose to secure the outside panels by anchoring them to concrete... well I am using 1/4" hex head 2 1/2" dricore screws and it is going miserably... its very hard to drill a hole straight down the board with out it moving along with getting it stright into the concrete... when I do get one done, I go to screw it down and the screw goes in about 1" into the concrete then jams... I ran into this problem before when the screw wasnt at the same angle as the hole when going in, but the drill was kept level... but it inevitably leads to breaking the screw in half and then I have to cut the screw to get it flush with the concrete again...

what are my options? Should I go to a shorter screw? how far down does tapcons have to go to be anchored good enough for this application? I had no real problems like this when tapconing my PT 2x4 sole plates to the concrete slab... and yes I am using a hammer drill with the correct size bit for the screws.

any suggestions?

Advertisement

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

TapCon and DriCore

Are you using a wood bit through the dricore and then switching to a concrete bit? It sound like the snapping is due to the hole being too shallow or the wrong size concrete bit.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #3

TapCon and DriCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Are you using a wood bit through the dricore and then switching to a concrete bit? It sound like the snapping is due to the hole being too shallow or the wrong size concrete bit.
Ron
I've tried it two different ways... first one was going through from start to finish with the tapcon bit, the second one was predrill and countersink then drill with tapcon concrete bit the size of the bit matches the size the screws say they want... i went out tonight and bought some small length screws, dricore said to use 1 3/4" x 1/4" tapcon screws we will see how this goes.... also bought some new bits, maybe the old ones where wearing out too.... used them a bit already
Old 10-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

TapCon and DriCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH
well I am using 1/4" hex head 2 1/2" dricore screws and it is going miserably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
I've tried it two different ways... first one was going through from start to finish with the tapcon bit, the second one was predrill and countersink then drill with tapcon concrete bit the size of the bit matches the size the screws say they want... i went out tonight and bought some small length screws, dricore said to use 1 3/4" x 1/4" tapcon screws we will see how this goes.... also bought some new bits, maybe the old ones where wearing out too.... used them a bit already
If dricore said to use 1-3/4" screws, why were you using 2-1/2" screws like you said in your first post?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #5

TapCon and DriCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
If dricore said to use 1-3/4" screws, why were you using 2-1/2" screws like you said in your first post?

because I was originally told 2 1/2"... I was just told yesterday 1 3/4"..... originally they said it had to go deeper into the concrete... then i was told it only needed to go in 1"... which 1 3/4" would do... tried it last night with 1 3/4" went in a lot easier with no snaps
Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,256

TapCon and DriCore

Make sure to drill deep and blow out the hole. Sometimes the residue settles in the bottom and the screw has nowhere to go. A little extra depth puts the dust out of the way.

And for your application I would think you could get by with very short screws. If your strips are 3/8" thick try a 1 1/4" screw (shortest tapcon I could find) and see if you can pull it out with a lateral force before the strip itself breaks. I bet you can't.

Last edited by jogr; 10-22-2010 at 02:50 PM.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #7

TapCon and DriCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Make sure to drill deep and blow out the hole. Sometimes the residue settles in the bottom and the screw has nowhere to go. A little extra depth puts the dust out of the way.

And for your application I would think you could get by with very short screws. If your strips are 3/8" thick and if tapcon makes a 1" screw then I'd be inclined to test screw a strip down and see if you can pull it out with a lateral force before the strip itself breaks. I bet you can't.
well dricore is 3/4" tick... 1/2" OSB with a plastic bottom and air space in the last 1/4"... so I dont think I want to go shorter then 1 3/4"

Advertisement