Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Taking out a wall

I need advice on whether or not I can remove the diagonal bracing in this wall (see picture). The house was built in 1941 by an owner/builder and based on what I can see, the house is just over built. The diagonal brace goes from a side wall of a colonial to the floor only of the top floor. Under the floor is nothing. It is a living room with no wall or bracing connecting to the foundation. Can I remove these without problems? Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Taking out a wall-wall.jpg  

guyncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Taking out a wall

Welcome to the Forum!

this appears to be a braced wall panel. diagonal bracing is one of the code approved methods of providing shear bracing to resist wind and seismic loads. only a professional engineer that evaluates your home could determine whether you can remove it or not.

of course you can remove it if you decide on your own, however I doubt anyone on an internet chat forum could properly advise you as they have not seen or evaluated your home. It may or may not be needed, but was put there for a reason. I do not think a builder would have just put that in because they thought it a good idea.

if it were me, I'd either hire an engineer to evaluate it, or leave it alone. just my humble opinion.

Good luck and look forward to future posts.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

Taking out a wall

You can substitute something else for it. Why do you want it removed?
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

Taking out a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyncognito View Post
I need advice on whether or not I can remove the diagonal bracing in this wall (see picture). The house was built in 1941 by an owner/builder and based on what I can see, the house is just over built. The diagonal brace goes from a side wall of a colonial to the floor only of the top floor. Under the floor is nothing. It is a living room with no wall or bracing connecting to the foundation. Can I remove these without problems? Thank you!
It is there for a reason! I just got done putting up over 600 feet of cross bracing strong backs every 30" on the gable ends of a house. why? because the engineer that designed the trusses called for it on the gable ends of the house plus the latteral and diaginal as well We ordered 1,000 feet of 2x4 and burned throught it like it was snack food. I think the house will roll off the foundation before the wind knocks it over. Leave the cross bracing alone. it is there for a reason.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #5

Taking out a wall

Thanks for the replies. I need it removed because I am going to build in a dresser and closet starting at the knee wall. The reason I think is not necessary is because it does not continue past what you see. The room this is in is a half story so the bracing would only be helping a very small portion of the house. The floor that it goes to is the ceiling of the living room and there is no bracing there at all. Just seems like that small amount of bracing (6ft or so... ) is not really going to do anything. I understand I am asking the internet for help, but just looking for ideas beyond hiring an engineer.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #6

Taking out a wall

Quote:
I need it removed because I am going to build in a dresser and closet starting at the knee wall.
And the diagonal bracing is in the way but the rest of the wall isn't? If you're thinking of tearing down the entire wall, the answer is an easier no.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #7

Taking out a wall

The knee wall is not the problem. That can be worked around with the header that is in place. The diagonal brace is not as easily replaced. I just don't see the need of something so small in comparison to the size of the wall it is trying to brace.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Taking out a wall

Quote:
I just don't see the need of something so small in comparison to the size of the wall it is trying to brace.
isn't that the reason you came on here to ask because you didn't know for sure? shear walls can be found in unusual places in a home including interior walls. they can be constructed from wood structural panel sheathing to diagonal bracing.

you can remove it if you want, after all it is your home. if it were mine I wouldn't, or I'd figure out a way of providing additional bracing somewhere.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote