Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Taking out trusses

A contractor tells me he can put a header on the sides of my 2car garage notch 2x6s and sister these to the trusses that run under the roof. Put a vertical support pole in the garage and build a sort of inside elevated deck to be the floor of the attic and take down all the crisscross truss peices. Comments - sounds good to me who is desparate for storage

jersey joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Wounded Mathematician

Rewards Points: 75

Taking out trusses

Just because he can doesn't mean he should. I would get an engineer to look at it before you start removing trusses.

shtoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Taking out trusses

Your contractor has no idea what he's doing. The trusses are an engineered system, and are designed with reactions that are dissimilar to the reactions in a conventionally framed roof structure. That's why you'll often see 2x4 and 2x6 chords in trusses where they'd have to be 2x8 or 2x10 in conventional framing. As soon as he starts taking pieces out, it will work more like conventional framing, and the top and bottom chords will likely be undersized. Each and every web member of the trusses is critical to the performance of the entire truss, and cannot be removed under any circumstance without the oversight of an engineer or truss designer. Removal of the horizontal members (if any) that brace the trusses to each other is equally important, and should never be removed.

Your contractor is giving you bad advice unless he's holding a stamped letter from an engineer detailing what exactly needs to happen.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #4

Taking out trusses

Thanks for the input. I want to make sure i have explained this correctly. The contractor is really building a conventional framework underneath the existing roof, ie, from side to side there will be 2x8 rafters(attached like a deck, there will be a header along the sides that hold the new roof rafters. And finally maybe i should mention this is pole construction. Thanks for any additional input
Old 07-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Taking out trusses

It is a BIG NO NO to modify, cut, notch, bend or deflect to more than a few degrees an engineered truss system with out an engineered plan.

not sure from your post what is getting notched and sistered.

sure you can build a post & beam deck ///but do not let this guy do this with out an engineered plan if he is going to touch your truss webs and top or bottom cords.

Get a price on a storage leanto at the back or side of your garage... or check out the sheds at the Big Box stores....

EDIT: OK 4th read your post... he is going to sister top cord of truss with 2x6.... get an engr.
does not sound like you will have a ridge board or collar ties/ proper tie down at walls... etc.

Last edited by Big Bob; 07-25-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

Taking out trusses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
Thanks for the input. I want to make sure i have explained this correctly. The contractor is really building a conventional framework underneath the existing roof, ie, from side to side there will be 2x8 rafters(attached like a deck, there will be a header along the sides that hold the new roof rafters. And finally maybe i should mention this is pole construction. Thanks for any additional input
Understood. Your contractor is making a big mistake, and I strongly suggest that you involve a structural engineer. That mistake is treating a truss like a conventional pair of rafters, ceiling joist, purilins, and ridge. Supporting under where the loads would be in conventional framing will not necessarily compensate for removal of a part of the truss.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 258

Taking out trusses

As long as there isn't some kind of zoning or lot restrictions, I think the lean-to idea is the way to go.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #8

Taking out trusses

Thanks for all your input - i am meeting with the contractor Monday for a more detailed look and quote. I know the roof rafters he is olanning to add are notched onto the 2x10 that runs around the top of the pole construction but I am not clear on how the rafters are connected at the ridge. Now I know more what i should be asking, i think. Would like to add a leanto but the garage floods several feet and that is why i am desparate for some high storage for all those tools that live in the garage. I see the concensus is i need a structural engineer. Any ideas what that would cost? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #9

Taking out trusses

Most of the time you can get a local structural engineer to evaluate something like this for about $200-300. Your builder should be pulling a permit for this type of work...I guarantee one is required...The inspector will require an engineer if he's on his game the least bit.