Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Share |

Taking Apart Double Drywall with Green Glue

A while ago, I hired a contractor to build a double walled studio, each wall made of 5/8'' sheetrock with green glue in between.

Now that we're moving, we need to take it apart. So far, I've taken off the two doors and dismantled one vent box with the help of a reciprocating saw, but it was very difficult because of the green glue.

Do you have any tips on how I can do it safely but more efficiently? I will most likely hire someone else to take it apart. If I do, what type of contractor should I look for?

I want as little as possible, and ideally, no damage to the basement the studio's in. I can give additional details of the construction of the studio if you need them. Thanks

galerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #2

You would hire a Demolition crew if you need a contractor.
Cut the sheetrock into 3' sections with a coarse blade in a Sawzall type saw. They make demo blades for this. One manufacturer calls it ,"The Axe". I think it's Milwaulkee.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #3

I see you're from Long Island. I'm in Queens. Can you recommend any local demo contractors?

Also, if we decide to do the job ourselves, would the demo blades on a reciprocating saw (like the Sawzall) be able to cut through the green glue easily (it is very sticky)?
galerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by galerian View Post
I see you're from Long Island. I'm in Queens. Can you recommend any local demo contractors?

Also, if we decide to do the job ourselves, would the demo blades on a reciprocating saw (like the Sawzall) be able to cut through the green glue easily (it is very sticky)?
I use a few demo contractors on jobs. In the city I've used Testani on kitchen, bath and addition demos. On the Island I've used Jak Industries.
With subs you need to exactly specify, in writing, what the details of the job are. Which means you need to know what the details are. Lack of specifics can lead to cost add ons.
For example,you want a kitchen gutted. You want to specify that the flooring needs to be removed down to the original subfloor. not to the layer of underlayment one level down. Older houses can have a 6 layer sandwich of old flooring(and underlayment) going back to when the house was built.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote