T1-11, Smartside, Or "Redwood" - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

T1-11, Smartside, or "Redwood"

Our church has a 24x34 garage that was constructed with all wood siding many many years ago. It has held up well and been maintained but the bottom 2' all the way around needs to be replaced (damage from snow accumulation, splashing rain, etc.). For budget reasons we're planning to replace that strip instead of re-cover the entire garage.

Being that its the bottom and touches the ground what material should we use? HD carries Smartside and a similar Redwood brand product but I question putting particle board against the ground. It will all be painted.

Thanks!

Advertisement

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

What is on there now - do you need/want to match for cosmetic reasons?

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

The current siding is 11" OC T1-11. I haven't found anything nearly that wide to match so our choices are the 2' skirt or the entire garage unfortunately. All I've found is 4" and 8" OC.

Stopped at Lowes today and someone suggested using Hardie board especially for the skirt area as it will not deteriorate due to water. Looks just like T1-11 and $5/board cheaper too.

Last edited by moneymgmt; 03-19-2010 at 05:41 PM.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,038

The existing T1-11 is a sheathing for structural racking and a siding for weather. To remove means to replace the shear panel to resist seismic forces and high winds. You probably don't have any wall bracing other than the siding. Keep this in mind as you repair/replace to add metal bracing from plate to plate, plywood panels or other bracing required on corners and every ? feet along the building as suggested by a Structural Engineer.

Be safe, Gary