Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #1

Share |

T-intersection - fence gets hit constantly

My home sits at the end of a T-intersection and at least twice a year someone "forgets" (after a night of drinking, no doubt) to stop and turn to the L or R, but rather, runs their car directly though my 6' wood fence and into my back yard. It's amazing no one has been killed by hitting one of the big trees back there.

I am considering doing one of 4 things, keeping in mind that the area that needs protection is about 48' in length - 1. Have Jersey Barriers installed outside my fence, 2. Have water filled (less dangerous, less expensive, but bright orange) barriers installed outside my fence, 3. Have a concrete wall built in front of my fence, or 4. Bring boulders in from a landscaper. All are, of course, so the car hits it rather than my fence, and ALL require that 48' of my fence be moved back so that all barriers are on my own property, not the county's.

A typical fix for my fence runs about $1000 and of course, no one ever stays and accepts responsibility so I am stuck with the cost of repair.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Chinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #2

You can install motion detector lights and cameras so whoever hits your fence can be caught on camera that way you can forward a copy to the police, have the person found, press charges and get your fence fixed. It's a lot cheaper and more effective...

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

1 and 2 are ugly. #3 you can landscape and put plants on.
Have you considered digging a pond or asking the town to put barriers on their property.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #4

Love the lights and camera idea, Epson. Joed, The county has been asked for years to put some sort of signage or something to help stop the problem, but they will do nothing. Whatever is done must be on my property to keep me from being sued!!

Just tonight, a head-on collision in front of the fence. (No apparent injuries other than to the cars, and at least the fence wasn't' involved this time...) Is it a magnet for stupid drivers, or what????
Chinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #5

I didn't think they had problems like this in China. They must have more cars than I thought
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #6

Jersey barriers (also known as K rail) are very expensive. They aren't designed for head on impact, but rather from the side. That's why they are used as road dividers to deflect vehicles back into their lane. I would be concerned about personal liability using a well known safety device in a non-approved manner. That is, if someone hits it and gets hurt....

The "typical" fix for a problem of this type is metal beam guard rail. But that's VERY costly.

Building a block wall will only provide more protection over a wood fence if the vehicle is going slowly to start with. Then if (when) it gets smacked, it will cost you even more to fix.

I would recommend two things to consider. First, contact the traffic or public works department of your city, or county if in an unincorporated area. If drivers are blowing the intersection, your local government needs to improve the intersection either through more signage or lighting. The more accident records on file, the better case you have. It's not really your problem, it's the problem of the owners of the road (the city or county).

You didn't specifically say, but it sounds like it's more a night time problem then day time. If so, you could add plenty of reflectors to your fence, along with black arrow signs on a yellow background. Again, that's what your local government SHOULD do, but if they don't, you could do it yourself.
OtherHand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OtherHand For This Useful Post:
Chinagirl (12-19-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Tileguy

The boulders get my vote. Boulders are more likely to cause extensive damage to the vehicles and maybe even high-center them. Once the vehicles are trapped it would be easy enough to track down the owner/driver.

Doesn't your homeowners insurance help with your fence repair cost?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
The boulders get my vote. Boulders are more likely to cause extensive damage to the vehicles and maybe even high-center them. Once the vehicles are trapped it would be easy enough to track down the owner/driver.
I agree. Another idea: years ago I was talking to a client who had frequent problems with the local hoons losing it on the corner of a country road, taking out the nice hedge outside her house; her solution was 1m lengths of railway line set in concrete with about 300mm out of the ground; they were hidden inside the hedge. So they made the perfect car immobiliser; just the right height to remove the sump or suspension of the car at fault. No go after that!
mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
DIY staff

This is a serious problem---Is there room for a sand pit? These are used to stop run away trucks.

Where is the house--will it be hit eventually?

We have an intersection like that near here. A driver finally hit the house and died. The house has been boarded up for two years.
Chinagirl (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 AM   #10

So long as the fence is close to your property line, the fence has to be hit first before anything else can be done. You might be able to install the fence in a way that it comes apart with a minimum of damage to itself. For example the panels of a stockade fence might not be attached to the posts near the ground and be free to swing up if hit.

While fence posts can be made to resist being splintered when hit, they would be uprooted from the ground and it would not be easy putting them back. I have heard of diagonal braces behind each fence post going into the ground in which case the fence and panels are lifted and go over the car if the post is hit rather then being pushed over and run over.

Anything you do to strengthen the fence is going to cost money.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-19-2011 at 11:41 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #11
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post
I didn't think they had problems like this in China. They must have more cars than I thought
China has millions of cars. This person is not from China though, she's from the USA. When I was a kid, we lived on a bad corner like that. No crashing cars hitting our home, thank goodness, but everyone always seemed to have accidents on that corner or break down there. We had people knocking at our door to use our phone at least twice a year.

DM
Old 12-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Pro Slate Roofer

I'd just set boulders just behind the fence, or set 6" concrete filled pipes in the ground about a foot inside the fence. Either will protect you from harm and liability.
Either should cause enugh damage to stop the vehicle and keep it there so you can sue the owner for the damages.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Chinagirl (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Pro Slate Roofer

Oh, if you don't like the look, plant some bushes there too.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post

Doesn't your homeowners insurance help with your fence repair cost?
Ayuh,.... I agree, 'n boulders also Look cool...

There's a place not far from here that had the same problem,...
A truckload of 1 ton boulders cured it, 'n kept the drunks around long enough for the cops to catch 'em...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Jack of all - master none

Rather than installing damage amplifiers (concrete walls, boulders, etc), could you do (or have you done) anything to draw more attention to the fence? Hang reflectors from it, or light the area? Hanging some prismatic reflectors on the fence would cost way less than any of the other options, would take much less effort to install, and are less likely to kill someone if they drive though the intersection.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-19-2011), Snav (12-20-2011)