Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Switching the Swing of a Larson Storm door AFTER its installed

I have a question regarding Larson Storm doors. There is one installed on my home thats pretty new but I'd like to change the swing of it because the path leading up to it is on the opposite side of the swing. Right now swing is outer left, need it to be outer right. It is a model that couldve been installed either way. But can I un/reinstall without issues and can I reuse existing aluminum frame that came with it.

miked1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 0

You could reinstall it, but you'll have holes where the lockset is installed. Two big ones and two smaller ones. Not sure how you'd hide those other than a couple of patches. You'll also have smaller screw holes in the edge of the door from the hinges, but they're minor.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 44

You can use crown bolts to plug the holes, any hardware store should have them.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

The problem is, you are going to not only have holes where the screws were on the old hinge side, but also where the handle was. You would be best to just go get a new door. A Picture would be nice to see what you are saying that the door swings the wrong way.

Sometimes they will install them, so when you open the inside door, the storm then swings from the opposite side.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 80

New door and sell the old one on Craigs list, or deal with it looking poopy.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
New door and sell the old one on Craigs list, or deal with it looking poopy.
If the OP was in my area, and it is a 36" Right Swing beige, Full view, with sliding half hidden screen, I would say send it my way. Our Larson is showing a couple of cracks in the outer skin, that is too late for them to cover, since it is about 5 years old now.

The next one I am going with, will have a Metal skin vs Plastic PVC, due to they crack after three years from direct sun exposure.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 80

You'll find over time the metal ones leak and the partical board inside expands.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You'll find over time the metal ones leak and the partical board inside expands.
That is one thing we have been lucky about the PVC skinned one we have has not done. I do not think that anything has gotten behind the skin, due to I have not noticed any swelling around the diagonal crack from the bottom left corner of the window, to the edge where the bottom section at the trim molding on the face is.

The trim is starting to crack where the screws are. I can say one thing, anymore most products are only good for a max of five years, before they have to be replaced, like off the shelf storm doors from the big box. Even the stuff that is contractor grade anymore is not the best, since they are cheaping out on the lead & petroleum that they are putting into the plastic recipe.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The problem is, you are going to not only have holes where the screws were on the old hinge side, but also where the handle was.
That's what the crown bolts are for "The Handle Holes".

I did that to one at my house and it looks just fine.

Three little buttons (actually six) for just a few bucks. A whole lot cheaper than a new door and one less thing in the landfill.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
That's what the crown bolts are for "The Handle Holes".

I did that to one at my house and it looks just fine.

Three little buttons (actually six) for just a few bucks. A whole lot cheaper than a new door and one less thing in the landfill.
I personally think that the buttons look shoddy. As for going to the landfill, that is what Habitat stores are for, when you have building materials or even extra coax & a/v wiring. It is better to give to them, or even if the OP does not have one on the back, and the door back there is the same size, then relocate it to the back.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I personally think that the buttons look shoddy. As for going to the landfill, that is what Habitat stores are for, when you have building materials or even extra coax & a/v wiring. It is better to give to them, or even if the OP does not have one on the back, and the door back there is the same size, then relocate it to the back.
OP asked if it could be done and the answer is yes and that's the easiest way to do it (sorry the buttons bother you).

There are some in the world that still try to make do with what they already have, then there are others that will throw perfectly good things away because of a blemish.

I have no problem with the latter, my place has benefited greatly over the years from things my customers have told me to make disappear.

Btw, the closest Habitat Store is a 180 miles from my primary residence.

Tags
larson, storm door, switch swing