Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Swingset Plans/ Kit

I have just started to look into the options to build a wood playset/ swingset. There are tons of sites offering kits, with wood, without wood, just plans etc.

Anyone have experience to share about any of it. I like the idea of buying a kit because it has all the hardware included and I dont need to design anything but would it be way cheaper to just get good plans and purchase everything seperate? I assume the kits without wood come out being considerably cheaper ?

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion or experience... any suggesstions on companies to deal with would be great too since there are a million of them out there.

organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Swingset Plans/ Kit

From a purely assetic standpoint, i like the kit or actual swingset hardware rather than just buying the Simpson or USP hardware because it is powder coated rather than galvenized, so you get a more "kid friendly" look.

One thing you might want to consider is looking in places like craigslist or ebay for a used set in your area. People move all the time and you can find some great deals, if you are willing to go dismantle, move and reassemble. Do a search for "Rainbow swingset" or "rainbow playset" as they use all cedar and quality hardware. They are one of the nicer ones (IMO), but I'd never be able to justify the retail price for a new one. I found a gently used set a few years ago and got a great deal. i couldn't have bought the lumber alone for the price I paid, and I got a top of the line brand that gets used hard by half my neighborhood and has held up great.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #3

Swingset Plans/ Kit

Thanks Mr chips. hadn't thought about craigslist for that. Thats part of why the kit appeals to me too because I know it will function well. thanks for mentioning the hardware too.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
DIY Hack

Swingset Plans/ Kit

Based on your screen name, I'd hope you are planning to use cedar rather than pressure treated. Nothing ORGANICK about PT

(or maybe your just a guy named nick that plays keyboards.)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #5

Swingset Plans/ Kit

oh yeah looking for cedar or redwood. some good companies out there but damn its pricey to build one
Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Swingset Plans/ Kit

I built my kids a play set from Cedar works last summer. Top of the line materials.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #7

Swingset Plans/ Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1910NE View Post
I built my kids a play set from Cedar works last summer. Top of the line materials.
been looking at them. looks really nice but what are the prices like? they dont list any online
Old 01-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Swingset Plans/ Kit

We just bought the Meridian swing set from WalMart made from cedar. It was the best available price we could find that included 2 swings, monkey bars, activity table and canopy for $580.
AppalachianMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
DIY Hack

Swingset Plans/ Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
been looking at them. looks really nice but what are the prices like? they dont list any online
If I remeber correctly the CedarWorks was big money, even more than the Rainbow sets. and i seem to remember them getting sketchy reviews. A friend of mine just ordered a Gorilla playset from Costo, that looks almost exactly like my Rainbow set on the website, I think it was $1800 delivered
Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #10

Swingset Plans/ Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
We just bought the Meridian swing set from WalMart made from cedar. It was the best available price we could find that included 2 swings, monkey bars, activity table and canopy for $580.

Is it nice?? i have a hard time trusting walmart anything.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Swingset Plans/ Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
They are expensive..no doubt. but worth it in my opinion. In fact, this is our second one (we moved across the country, so could not bring the play set with use.)

I have not seen any negative reviews for them....Which doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I have not seen any. I found the instructions to be first rate, and the provided materials and hardware were excellent as well. In addition, the fact that that they are "splinter free" is a big plus, as is the fact that they do not require any sort of treatment (stain, etc...)

Last edited by 1910NE; 01-07-2011 at 07:06 PM.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote