Swing Installation Inside The House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Swing installation inside the house

Hi
We are building a new house & we want to install a swing inside the house. The builder wants to install the hardware to hang the swing from with a lag bolt rather than a traditional nut and bolt. I have attached the hardware, similar swing & the provisions made on the ceiling. Could you tell me if a lag bolt (1/2 inch lag bolt which is 3 inches long) would suffice or should we insist on something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Swing installation inside the house-appas-camera-slim-137-1-.jpg   Swing installation inside the house-nik_8715.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

murlishaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Are you speaking of a lag screw?

If the timber is strong enough--two lag screws would hold---

A through bolt and nut might be extremely difficult to attach unless there is attic space above------

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, it is a lag screw only. What length & width would you suggest ? I did attache the pic of the timber as well. Would that do ? I was insisting on a thru' bolt and nut but my builder vouches on the lag screw. Would it withstand the weight & how much do you think it can withstand ?

Thanks for your suggestion
murlishaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

3 inch x3/8 inch --even smaller will hold well---to large can split the bottom of the joist---

An engineer will be needed to quote the sheer strength---I just don't remember that sort of thing----As a millwright,I have hung some mighty heavy machinery over the years---my biggest concern is the drywall--the wiggling of the block may crush the soft material--leaving the swing block loose---consider adding a wood or steel plate below the drywall.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,658

I'm not fully understanding the ceiling prep picture but that point is moot in my mind and here is why.

I would not use lag screws screwed into a single ceiling joist. The tinsel strength of the screw isn't the problem but the screw is forming wooden threads, will weaken the joist and that is the problem.

If mine I would sister a 3 ft. long 2x4 on each side of the ceiling joist, centered on attachment locations using glue and screws and those would be bridged to two adjoining joist in each direction. One of the sistering 2x4s would have two 1/4" grooves cut to accept 1/4" bolts. If you question the bolts that size research the tinsel strength of 1/4" fine thread bolts. A 1/4" thick steel plate, with matching holes, would be in the attic on top of the sister lumber on the bolt side and covering the ceiling joist. If the bolts don't fit the hardware holes put a bushing in the holes.

This setup shouldn't be taken lightly.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 07-02-2014 at 10:47 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Are you speaking of a lag screw?
I bought some in Lowes yesterday. I told the cashier they were lag screws, but he had trouble finding them in his guide because they are called lag bolts there. Go figure.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 508

what the.... (to each their own, I guess)...

You chain is likely going to break long before the lag bolts pull out.

Advertisement

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-02-2014)