Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #1

Share |

Suspended Garage Floors

Hi, I noticed a post regarding suspended garage floors. We are in the process of doing just that. I contacted my materials supplier and found that engineered wood products, like TJIs, LVLs and Para-Lams will span up to 24 feet and meet the 2000 pounds per 20 square inch of floor as specified by the UBC and International Residential Code. You will still need to install Fire Proofing over the floor and the weight of the product used will be added to the total allowable floor load.

Van
Van Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #2

Suspended Garage Floors

Wood framing is NEVER used to support a suspended garage slab. It could be done, but the combined dead and live loads would never be able to be supported by I-joists in span, not to mention the fact that they lack the ability to take the compressive loads. Engineered beams could possibly be utilized, but the spans would be incredibly limited. Fireproofing the support members for the floor is not an issue in single family residential construction.

Fact is, the amount of wood structure it would require to support a suspended slab is not cost effective. For much less, steel beams and corrugated decking are used to support such slabs.

To state that PSL, LVL, and other beams will span 24' under that sort of load is incredibly misleading and vague.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #3

Suspended Garage Floors

Dear Mr. Termite

As a Building Inspector, its good to learn new things and be open to new ideas, so might I suggest you do a little more research on engineered products, re-read the building code as it pertains to garage floor loads and re-read my post. In the future, take a deep breath before you type, check your facts, offer a solution and be nice...

Sincerely,

Van J Gideon
Van Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #4

Suspended Garage Floors

Sorry to offend you, but your post strongly misrepresent's engineered wood's ability to do this in my professional opinion, so I'll stand by what I wrote. And, I know exactly what the code says...You represented that well in your first post.

I spent years as an engineered wood designer and lumber estimator, and never once saw or heard of engineered wood used to support a garage slab. I've been an inspector for several years and have seen probably hundreds of suspended garage slabs, none of which incorporated permanent wood support structure.

Solution? I already gave it. Steel beam(s) and corrugated decking. That's the industry standard. You just can't get the same spans with wood that you can get with steel.

If you're doing this on your own home, please take some pictures of the slab's support structure or describe how it is being laid out. I'm skeptical but curious, especially about how you're incorporating TJI's into it. I just hope that your materials supplier understands how to design for the dynamic loads in a garage slab.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote