Suspended/Floating Sink Installation? How? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Suspended/Floating sink installation? How?

I am not sure what to call it, my master bedroom has a (very small) bathroom in it with a door, and outside of that 3 piece washroom there is a single sink 36-37" wide that is just suspended between 2 walls so it is in an alcove surrounded on 3 sides. There are no legs at all. This is something I see in hotels all the time, and have seen in very few houses so I dont know what you call it. Anywho...

The existing sink is the original 1970s yellow (chipped) ceramic drop in sink on fake marble laminate countertop. I bought a new all-in-one cultured vanity top to fit the space and now need to know how in the world does one install this without a vanity to set it in? My first idea was to get some 2x4s and frame out the space and then set the sink on top. Only thing is the left wall is a shower and pipes behind the wall. I know the existing sink is supported there somehow though. The other 2 walls are thru a linen closet and the bedroom with no electrical or plumbing behind it. Because the shower access panel is directly under this sink I do NOT want to put a full vanity in this spot to impede it.

I asked one of my handy friends and they told me to buy a vanity for the spot and cut off one side to access the shower panel. But the thought of a plumber having to crawl inside a little vanity door in case the bath pipes or drain need maintenance doesnt sit well with me. I like the setup of this sink and use it as my prep/makeup area since its way larger then the 24" sink in the actual bathroom so I really want to keep this area as such.

Does anyone know what this type of suspended/floating sink is truly called? And how to properly install one? I googled those 2 terms for days and couldnt find any info on it.

The attached photo is from move in day. You can't see under it much, but that 3-4 inch laminate apron in the front is the only "vanity" that this sink has. You can also see the edge of the shower access panel on the bottom left as well which is quite large.
Attached Thumbnails
Suspended/Floating sink installation?  How?-img00048.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by techprincesse; 11-20-2010 at 08:46 AM.
techprincesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you look under the sink, you will probably find a wood frame screwed to the wall. The top, sink and faucet sit on top of it.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If you look under the sink, you will probably find a wood frame screwed to the wall. The top, sink and faucet sit on top of it.
Ron
I agree with Ron. Disconnect the plumbing then take a sheet rock knife and score along the top edge of the back splashes so you won't tear your sheet rock up when you pull them off. You may be able to remove the front apron and pry the top off or the top may be screwed down to the cleats on the wall.

Once the old one is out, install the new one back using the cleats that is in place now.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks, I wish it were so easy, but underneath has no cleats. Which is why I am trying to figure out how to add my own. Its just a box made of laminate and secured to the walls. Here's an underneath photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Suspended/Floating sink installation?  How?-dscf3852.jpg  
techprincesse is offline   Reply With Quote