DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Suspended/Floating sink installation? How? (

techprincesse 11-20-2010 07:39 AM

Suspended/Floating sink installation? How?
1 Attachment(s)
I am not sure what to call it, my master bedroom has a (very small) bathroom in it with a door, and outside of that 3 piece washroom there is a single sink 36-37" wide that is just suspended between 2 walls so it is in an alcove surrounded on 3 sides. There are no legs at all. This is something I see in hotels all the time, and have seen in very few houses so I dont know what you call it. Anywho...

The existing sink is the original 1970s yellow (chipped) ceramic drop in sink on fake marble laminate countertop. I bought a new all-in-one cultured vanity top to fit the space and now need to know how in the world does one install this without a vanity to set it in? My first idea was to get some 2x4s and frame out the space and then set the sink on top. Only thing is the left wall is a shower and pipes behind the wall. I know the existing sink is supported there somehow though. The other 2 walls are thru a linen closet and the bedroom with no electrical or plumbing behind it. Because the shower access panel is directly under this sink I do NOT want to put a full vanity in this spot to impede it.

I asked one of my handy friends and they told me to buy a vanity for the spot and cut off one side to access the shower panel. But the thought of a plumber having to crawl inside a little vanity door in case the bath pipes or drain need maintenance doesnt sit well with me. I like the setup of this sink and use it as my prep/makeup area since its way larger then the 24" sink in the actual bathroom so I really want to keep this area as such.

Does anyone know what this type of suspended/floating sink is truly called? And how to properly install one? I googled those 2 terms for days and couldnt find any info on it.

The attached photo is from move in day. You can't see under it much, but that 3-4 inch laminate apron in the front is the only "vanity" that this sink has. You can also see the edge of the shower access panel on the bottom left as well which is quite large.

Ron6519 11-20-2010 07:57 AM

If you look under the sink, you will probably find a wood frame screwed to the wall. The top, sink and faucet sit on top of it.

BigJim 11-20-2010 10:37 AM


Originally Posted by Ron6519 (Post 537423)
If you look under the sink, you will probably find a wood frame screwed to the wall. The top, sink and faucet sit on top of it.

I agree with Ron. Disconnect the plumbing then take a sheet rock knife and score along the top edge of the back splashes so you won't tear your sheet rock up when you pull them off. You may be able to remove the front apron and pry the top off or the top may be screwed down to the cleats on the wall.

Once the old one is out, install the new one back using the cleats that is in place now.

techprincesse 11-21-2010 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, I wish it were so easy, but underneath has no cleats. Which is why I am trying to figure out how to add my own. Its just a box made of laminate and secured to the walls. Here's an underneath photo.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1