Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Suspended Ceiling Min Height?

Hello.

I'm going back and for between drywall and suspended ceiling because of my basement heights. What is the absolute min. distance from U/S I Joists to suspended ceiling. Do I really need 3" or can I get away with less?

Matt

mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Your main and cross tees are 1-1/2" tall and you have to have room to twist the tie wires. I don't see getting by with any less........ If you are using any "lay in" lights, you'll need a minimum of 4". And you need room to get the tile in.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #3

3-4" is what I thought. I guess I'm doing drywall and hopefully I don't get too much cracking when my floor moves.

thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
I'm going back and for between drywall and suspended ceiling because of my basement heights. What is the absolute min. distance from U/S I Joists to suspended ceiling. Do I really need 3" or can I get away with less
I used flexible fiberglass 2' x 4' ceiling tiles for my suspended ceiling because I wanted the maximum height for my basement ceiling. The distance from bottom of the 2"x10" joists to the top of the metal track is 1.75". I had no problem installing recessed lighting and placed the tie wires at strategic spots that reduced interference. I like drywall but I hate installing them horizontally and removable tiles make repairs and running new electric/speaker/alarm wires easier.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just for reference, the International Residential Code requires a minumum 7'-0" ceiling height.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:25 AM   #6

I'll have 7'-1" in most places. Some places I'll have boxed in areas for ductwork. My house is only a year old and they built it like crap. Next time I'm designing and building my own.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

I install drywall on I joists a lot. No more problems than regular "stick" framing.......Sometimes they are over 16" centers, if so you may want to use 5/8" rock to keep from sagging.