Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Survey Results - Cavity Wall Insulation - Health Concerns

Hi,

I've just received my full building survey report for a property I am interested in purchasing. However, it mentions the existence of cavity wall insulation but not what TYPE (e.g. foam, etc.)

I have been told (by a friend) that if it is foam based, then to avoid the property as there are health concerns associated with such insulations (and cannot be removed as it is stuck to wall like expanding foam). These foam based insulations are now banned (so I believe).

I am no expert in this matter (hence I asked my friend for some advice who is also no expert) and would appreciate any input from forum members on this matter. I have asked the EA for some information on the type of insulation and also whether there is any guarantee/documentation available - I'm yet to hear back.

Thanks, Ash

mchu6am4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchu6am4 View Post
Hi,

I've just received my full building survey report for a property I am interested in purchasing. However, it mentions the existence of cavity wall insulation but not what TYPE (e.g. foam, etc.)

I have been told (by a friend) that if it is foam based, then to avoid the property as there are health concerns associated with such insulations (and cannot be removed as it is stuck to wall like expanding foam). These foam based insulations are now banned (so I believe).

I am no expert in this matter (hence I asked my friend for some advice who is also no expert) and would appreciate any input from forum members on this matter. I have asked the EA for some information on the type of insulation and also whether there is any guarantee/documentation available - I'm yet to hear back.

Thanks, Ash

Not all spray foam is banned.

http://www.powerhousetv.com/stellent...bu_000575.hcsp

But 'Urea Formaldehyde' is:

http://www.dph.state.ct.us/Publicati.../EOHA/uffi.pdf

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1478821

If that is what is in there....I'd run....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply AtlanticWBConst.

After reading you links, I've come to the conclusion that if it was installed more than 10 years ago, then the health effects are neglible and you don't need to worry about it.

What are your thoughts on that?

Ash
Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

mchu6am4 -

If you really want an evaluation, ask you friend if he knows the difference in the effectiveness of the different types of insulation. - Not all adhere and some shrink.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
mchu6am4 -

If you really want an evaluation, ask you friend if he knows the difference in the effectiveness of the different types of insulation. - Not all adhere and some shrink.
I'm really concerned about the health effects of the insulation and not its effectiveness.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would suggest getting a sample of the insulation and having it tested...That will provide you with the information to find out exactly what it is composed of. Then you can do more research on it before moving forward, or moving away...... before signing anything...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote