Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Surfacing open decorative blocks

We have several outside wall areas that have panels built from open decorative blocks. There are two 12x5 block panels and one 5x5. (~150 sq.ft total) The blocks are 12x12x4 and are set about 1" back into a regular brick veneer wall. There is no lintel across the top. The outside of the 2x4 stud wall on the inside of the veneer appears to be plywood.

We once refinished the interior wall and found that some of the 2x4s had partly rotted.

I have been hoping to find an economical way to seal the walls.

I had quotes on :
- synthetic stucco over the blocks, but even with 1" foam, it would protrude out and be vulnerable to impact damage. ~$3k
- Removing blocks and rebuilding with brick - ~$6k
- Apply cement board and then stucco like finish ~$4k

I was hoping for something less expensive! Maybe there is something I could do myself? Ways I have thought about:

- Pack mortar (or maybe hydraulic cement?) into openings and the parge to form stucco like surface and then paint? Maybe part fill openings with styrofoam pieces first?

- Apply prefinished panels directly to blocks - Maybe Hardie-panels?

Any other suggestions for both DIY and contractor solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
Surfacing open decorative blocks-openblockwall.jpg  

lakeresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

I have just got to be miss reading this post.
Those blocks have open areas in them, and you installed some form of paneling and 2 X 4's without removing them and blocking in that area or framing it in and siding?
So that wall also has no insulation behind the panels and you live in an area where it snows.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I have just got to be miss reading this post.
Those blocks have open areas in them, and you installed some form of paneling and 2 X 4's without removing them and blocking in that area or framing it in and siding?
So that wall also has no insulation behind the panels and you live in an area where it snows.
No that is not how it is. The wall on the inside of the brick/block is a normal insulated 2x4 wall. It has sheathing on the outside surface that appears to be painted plywood (can only see it through the block openings)

The wall has been that way since the house was built by original owner (a contractor) in late 60's. It was originally a garage. We converted the garage to living space about 20 years ago and at that time redid the interior drywall. When wall was open, we saw some rot on 2x4 supports and repaired it and at same time replaced the damaged insulation. We don't get rain into the wall, but if snow builds up, it could melt and enter wall. I try to keep it cleared.

But now, I want to seal those openings.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,136

It looks like you have a bunch of "screen" block you're looking to cover up.

The easiest & cheapest DIY approach may be to cover them with some form of sheet-goods. Something like an Azek product would likely be easy & last a long time, although it would be expensive I bet.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
It looks like you have a bunch of "screen" block you're looking to cover up.

The easiest & cheapest DIY approach may be to cover them with some form of sheet-goods. Something like an Azek product would likely be easy & last a long time, although it would be expensive I bet.
I checked and no Aztek dealer near us. Same for Hardy Panels. (We are in Canada)

Any other suggestions?