Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2009, 04:04 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Supporting Walls

How can you tell if a wall is load bearing or not, and if it is; is there a way to change my house so that just my outside walls are the load bearing walls so that I can move any of my interior walls without add i-beams or someother form of support?

PureCountry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
the Musigician

Supporting Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureCountry72 View Post
so that I can move any of my interior walls without adding i-beams or some other form of support?

DM

Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #3

Supporting Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureCountry72 View Post
How can you tell if a wall is load bearing or not, and if it is; is there a way to change my house so that just my outside walls are the load bearing walls so that I can move any of my interior walls without add i-beams or someother form of support?
Check if any of the joists are bearing on the walls, or if any upstairs walls are supported. I have seen suspended concrete upper floors used in houses which take no support from the partition walls, but these are only on masonry walls. There are beams such as trussed purlins which can span across smaller houses without support in the middle. There are things called trussed partitions which can take the weight of the floor from above. These used to be popular in Victorian days for the ballroom below.
stuart45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #4

Supporting Walls

Thanks
PureCountry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

Supporting Walls

One thing to bear in mind with partition walls is that even if they are not load bearing that can still add some stability to the shell of the building. This has been a problem with some of the 2 up 2 down Victorian row houses where the spine walls have been removed and replaced with RSJ's all along the street. In your case it may be a lot of work to do the work that you require. It's much easier to design the building like that as a new build than convert it later.
stuart45 is online now   Reply With Quote