Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Share |

Supporting beams for open porch gable roof

Hello Folks, I'm building a wrap around porch and at one end of the porch, I'll have a gable roof above the door.

The span of the entire gable is 9 feet and the depth from the posts to the house is 8 feet.

In general for each of the beams I plan to use a 3 ply 2 X 10. The outer posts will sit on 6 by 6's with beams coming out from the house and then a beam going across the front. I would also have a ridge beam but don't want to put too much weight on that because of the point load it would create on the front beam in the middle of the span. So will have ceiling joists to take the load to the outer beams.

I need to make sure the beams are solid at the house then. I will open the house up (I've done that) and will run a post down to the foundation.

However I would be attaching the beam right where the header to the wall and rim joist would be. I would need to use a hanger instead of resting the beam on the post.

Wanted to get your thoughts on this. Is this typical for a beam from a porch going into a house. Any concerns with the hanger? I looked around for a heavy duty hanger - but can't find them - where do you folks get beam hangers?

Thanks,
Hick

hick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Supporting beams for open porch gable roof

Simpson makes a wide range of hangers that can handle most anything. You need to compute the shear on the hanger, which is based on the loads and the geometry. Since there are typically a variety of hangers that will fit a given situation, you select the one you need by the load imposed. Or select a hanger that fits, determine its load capacity, and check to make sure you do not exceed the rated capacity. You can get Simpson hangers at virtually any lumber store, or at many big box stores, but the selection at the big box store may be limited. You can also order them on line.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote