Supporting In The Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

supporting in the basement

I'm getting ready to finish off our basement. I have a question on supporting the beam. I guess it's not so much a beam but is three 2 x 12 nailed together. As of right now it has 2 floor Jacks. I am going to be building a wall along where the jacks are located. The problem I have is that one floor jack will be in the way. I'm going to put some cabinets and a sink that will be built in to the wall that will be about 8 feet long. The floor jacks are concreted in to the basement floor. I only need to remove 1 of them. Should I just put one on each side of the 8 foot cabinet area? Or, do I even need them if the rest of the beam will be supported by a 2 x 4 wall? It seems like if there is a 2 x 4 every 16 inches floor jacks would not be needed. I'm not quite sure so I figured I'd ask someone that knows!
Thanks in advance for the help!
Brian

Advertisement

bcoots76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Removing a structural support post is not that simple, the post was installed as per a design dictating the location, load and span of the beam it is holding, yes the 3 - 2x12 laminated together are a beam. below the post is some form of footing supporting the load from the post, removal of the post and replacing with a framed wall is good intentions, now a footing will be needed below the 2x4 wall (need 2x6 if 2 storeys above) to help distribute the load, the existing concrete floor is not normally structural and can not support the load.

Is it not possible to leave the post in and frame around it, incorporate it within the cavity of the framed wall?

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 01:46 AM   #3

The reason I was going to remove the jack is because I plan on putting some kitchen cabinets and a sink. The "mini kitchen" is going to be built into the wall. If I have to leave the floor jack I could try and frame in around it and put the fridge there. The fridge could be built into the wall with a wall on each side. I could then put the cabinets beside the fridge. There would just be 4 1/2 wide wall seperating the fridge from the cabinets.
So what you are saying is I should leave the floor jack in place. The only other way would be to break up the floor and pour a footing for the new floor jacks. Is that correct? If so, there is no way I'm going to make it into that big of a project! It is just a basic ranch style house. The beam between the ceiling and the the attic is not directly above the floor beam but is offset by about 6 inches. There is no floor jack between the main level and the attic. I know this for sure because I replaced the wall between our living room and kitchen a few years back. I'm not sure if that info is important, but I though I'd throw it in there.
So, the floor jack should stay in place and there is no other way to support the beam without making it a huge project?
Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it!
Brian

Last edited by bcoots76; 12-19-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Some on the walls on the first floor hold up the structure of the house, they're called load bearing walls. They will run in the same direction as the main beam in the basement. The bearing walls take the place of the metal poles that are in the basement. And before you remove a wall, you need to know what kind of wall it is.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #5

So, I cannot remove the pole jack in the basement and replace it with 2 that are about 8 feet apart without digging up the concret and pouring a footing?
Thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #6

That's correct. Under your existing pole there is a nice happy footing doing what it's designed to do. Just bolting a new pole over a ways on the concrete may actually be fine, and you might get away with it, but it's not worth the risk. What might that risk be? Doubtful your house will implode like from the end of Poltergeist, but the pole may be slowly driven into the concrete. This could lead to a leaky concrete floor from cracks, cracks upstairs in drywall from settling, etc.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad I checked here before doing anything. I'm just going to try to incorporate the post in to the mini kitchen thing I adding. Thanks again for all of the advice!!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #8

That's your best bet. It shouldn't be THAT hard to hide. Or epoxy some magnets to the bottom of shot glasses and hang them from the pole.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #9

Nice idea with the shot glasses!!!!! I'm sold on that idea!

Advertisement