Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |

Support under whirlpool bath tub?

Ok, let me rephrase.... We had a carpenter working for us to build the decking (and whatever else is necessary) to install a new whirlpool tub that we purchased. He had the tub on-site when the decking was constructed. Now that we are ready to finalize the plumbing to it, we found that the tub did not have any support under it. We're stuck with what to do. My husband thought that he could place several concrete blocks under the entire tub to create a platform because we don't know what to do. This is the reason that I'm reaching out for help. I've tried to google search this issue and that is how I found the DIY blog. Thank you to anyone who can give me suggestions!

We are installing a whirlpool bath tub in our master bath (which is new construction). The decking that the tub will sit into is already built. There is just over 7 inches between the subfloor and the base of the tub when the lip of the tub is resting on the deck. We are thinking about placing several cinder block on the subfloor to use as the support structure for the tub.

Is this sufficient? Should we do something else?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited by cherylcrawford; 11-18-2009 at 12:08 PM.
cherylcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

This is not correct. Why is the ledge for the tub set so high. The tub must be sitting on the floor and the ledge evenly. Then set the tub in spray foam or motar or plaster. You need a solid base, not a few blocks.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #3

I agree with Bob. Just shorten the framing to the proper height: http://www.trajet.com/docs/AllInstructions.doc Look on-line for your tub's installation instructions.
And..... Welcome to the forum!
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Professional Wood Shafter

Thats insane! . How high is the lip of the top off the ground 28-30" ?? . You definally need more support under the tub
ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #5

Thank you for the advice. I believe that we were supposed to have a step up to the tub and that the carpenter was going to build some type of a platform between the tub and the subfloor. Now that he's no longer working with us, we're trying to figue out what's the best route before the winter comes in. Another cold winter with a hole in the floor equals a very high heating bill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
I agree with Bob. Just shorten the framing to the proper height: http://www.trajet.com/docs/AllInstructions.doc Look on-line for your tub's installation instructions.
And..... Welcome to the forum!
Be safe, Gary
cherylcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

just to offer more info. A step into a tub is considered dangerous and is a very poor design decision.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Household Handyman

I'm trying to imagine how this is looking. See how valuable pictures are? IF you sit the tub unit flat on a floor type surface, and the bottom of the actual tub does not tough the same plane as the floor, then let's go from there: With the entire tub unit sitting flat on the floor/surface, measure the distance from the bottom of the tub itself and the floor surface. Could you build a support to fit under the tub and sit firmly on the floor surface, with about a one-inch (1") gap between the top of the support and bottom of the tub? This support, along with proper filler material--spray foam, mortar, plaster, would firmly support the tub. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote