Support Post At Base Of Basement Stairs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

support post at base of basement stairs

I am currently in the process of renovating my basement. I have a support post at the the bottom of my basement stairs, I would like to know if it is safe to remove it. It is a two story duplex, the stairs are on the party wall. Above them is the stairs that go up to the second floor. Also I would like to know if I should sound proof the party wall & if so how to do it. I would prefer that the sound proof wall not extend the 2" stringer (I hope that is the right term). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
support post at base of basement stairs-march-30-2011-dogs-019.jpg   support post at base of basement stairs-march-30-2011-dogs-020.jpg   support post at base of basement stairs-march-30-2011-dogs-021.jpg   support post at base of basement stairs-march-30-2011-dogs-022.jpg   support post at base of basement stairs-march-30-2011-dogs-023.jpg  

Advertisement

tehya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,064

Looking at your pictures -
I wouldn't remove any of the posts.
My opinion.

rossfingal

Advertisement

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me why that is your opinion so that I understand please? I have seen several basement staircases where they do not have the extra two 2 x 4's nailed together at the bottom of them. The main support beam is the one in the middle of the opening which is supported with the metal post, which i have enclosed. If I can't totally remove it can I move it closer to the main support beam?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,064

tehya

Take a picture, kneeling near the bottom of the stairs, showing the intersection of the framing near the top of the white, painted post.

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #5

Hello Rossfingal

Here are the pictures that you asked me to post. I have put a little explanation on each one to hopefully give you more information. Thank you for helping me out with this.

Tehya
Attached Thumbnails
support post at base of basement stairs-march-30-2011-dogs-025.jpg   support post at base of basement stairs-march-30-2011-dogs-026.jpg   support post at base of basement stairs-march-30-2011-dogs-024.jpg   support post at base of basement stairs-march-30-2011-dogs-027.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Tehya,

I won't say that it is safe to remove the doubled 2x4 post shown in your pictures. I can't see or understand everything that is going on in your basement and above it from reading your post or looking at the pictures.

However, I don't see any indication that the doubled 2x4 is structural (which would mean it is safe to remove).

At the end of the day, you need to decide if you are qualified (familiar enough) with structural framing to make the call on your own, or you are going need to find someone who is. That could be a friend or neighbor, or that could be an engineer or contractor who you pay for their opinion.

Have fun,

Rory

Advertisement

Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote