Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Share |

support of hip roof

I am looking on putting a hip roof on a building. As many of you know a full 1/2 of the roof load for that part of the roof is at the single point where the 2 hip ridge beams meet at the top.

The normal solution is to place a column under this point and carry it to the foundation.

How do you actually attach the column to the hip ridge beams. They will meet the column at a angle and only bear on the very edge of the column. Do you bevel the top of the column?

Thought these would work good

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/HRC.asp

and I could place the column under end of the main ridge and hang the hip ridges from them.
Unfortunately these are designed for normal lumber and I will be using LVL which is too wide to fit into these hangers.
bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

support of hip roof

a correctly framed hip roof doesnt need a post to support the ridge beam, the hip rafters are what gives the roof its strength when its being stick framed

my question is why are you stick framing this, why not just use trusses. ive done it both ways.. unless your experienced with roof framing, stick framing a hip is 2-3 times longer than using trusses
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

support of hip roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill01 View Post
I am looking on putting a hip roof on a building. As many of you know a full 1/2 of the roof load for that part of the roof is at the single point where the 2 hip ridge beams meet at the top.

The normal solution is to place a column under this point and carry it to the foundation.
Who told you that? That's not true at all. Your framing a hip roof. Are you going to have ceiling joists?

Last edited by Joe Carola; 04-13-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

support of hip roof

I have been looking at trusses also. They indicated they would need a special..ie expensive crane to set the trusses at this location. May still go that way.

The building code says very different about support. It says it is required unless you have a engineered solution. Pretty much these are tension beam solution where you run steel around the top of the end walls.

Although you can run without a post you now transfer all this load to the common rafters at the end of your main ridge.

If you look at at 24ft span building with the lightest roof allowed by code (ie 25lbs/ft) This give you a point load of 2400 lbs you must transfer. If you transfer this to common rafters you push the walls out. With a 5 in 12 roof you get 2800lbs you must now transfer to your ceiling joist or rafter tie in tension. Just the nailing schedule alone requires 28 16d nails, not sure what wood could take that. And then you still have the issue of how to you transfer all this load from the hip ridge beam to common rafters in the first place when you can't use the simpson bracket to do it. Doubt you could get enough nails.

The reason people think you can run without support on hip is on shorter spans the nails very well may be sufficient. You also have support from the jack rafters as well as the plywood roof sheathing but the code does not allow you consider these.

I only know most this because my neighbor is a building inspector for a nearby city but he didn't know my question either since most people use trusses.

Maybe its not a issue and I can just drive a couple nails into the top of my column and be happy like its been done for years. Being a engineer (not structural) I tend to over analyze things.
bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #5

support of hip roof

Being an engineer you should know when you are beyond your knowledge base and defer to someone with that knowledge. I think you are making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote