Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Share |

Support columns for second story roof deck

I have a walk out roof deck over my first floor bathroom and laundry room. I want to replace the three support columns that hold up the roof over the roof deck along with the rotted wood around the base of them. My question is whether to secure the bottom part of the column to my new floor or support the column below the floor near the floor joists and build the floor around the column when I redo it. If I put the floor(plywood sheets) in first then place the columns on the floor, how to I attach them without screwing or nailing into the roof so it doesn't leak into my first floor area? If I build around the column, I will have a gap around the column to seal off from leaks. Which is better?
MugsynSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #2

Install cleats on the roof that will get inserted into the hollow of the column. Run the roofing up the sides of the cleats like flashing on a skylight. Put the columns over the top of the cleats and secure through the sides, high enough to not compromise the roofing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #3

Thank you for the response. Maybe to clarify, the column is actually a 6x6 pressure treated post. There is no hollow part to it.
MugsynSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugsynSax View Post
Thank you for the response. Maybe to clarify, the column is actually a 6x6 pressure treated post. There is no hollow part to it.
Okay then. Use a pipe flange with a 2" pipe. Bolt the pipe flange to the deck. Bolt it into framing, not just the sheathing. Drill out the post to receive the pipe. Run the roofing up the side of the post. Install a base molding around the post bottom to conceal the roofing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote