Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

Support column footings

I just bought a spec home and the support posts in the basement are only 37 inches from stairs, directly in front. The plan states that they should be 4' 3" from stair and footing under them is 2' x 2'x12". My suspicions are that they are not even on a footing being that the footing on the plan is 39" from stairs.

First question

Is the only way to tell if they are on footing to drill through floor to check?

Second concern: How much footing is supposed to be around post to disperse structural weight from above?

Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #2

Support column footings

You will get a more professional answer, I'm sure. But, I would not assume the house would pass inspection if the posts were not buried in concrete.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Support column footings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
I just bought a spec home and the support posts in the basement are only 37 inches from stairs, directly in front. The plan states that they should be 4' 3" from stair and footing under them is 2' x 2'x12". My suspicions are that they are not even on a footing being that the footing on the plan is 39" from stairs.

First question

Is the only way to tell if they are on footing to drill through floor to check?

Second concern: How much footing is supposed to be around post to disperse structural weight from above?
Before you panic...please realize that what is on ink in plans is NOT always what will work out with wood, steel and concrete on site....
This is a reality of building, construction and remodeling....
Because it says one thing on paper, do not assume it is that way or should be that way on site.....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote