Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #1

Share |

Support beam

So while taking down old drywall in my mothers basement I noticed the wooden support beam (three 2x12's glued and nailed together) for the house has a 1" hole going into the side and then another from the bottom connecting. It was done by my step-father in the 1970's after the house was built to run electrical line to outlets in a wall under the support beam.

I'm not a master carpenter but I'm assuming that this is not ok.

Is there a way to fix this without having to go extreme like replacing the beam?

Thank You!

Tiny207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
DIY staff

Support beam

Post a picture----Best fix is usually to sister another member on each side of the existing---

However , The damage might not be bad enough to warrant a repair----post a picture.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Support beam

Howdy,

Go to the links below (each will bring you to a Framing Guide PDF).

LINK (See page # 2): http://arch.umd.edu/Tech/Structural_..._Guide_A11.pdf

LINK (See page # 28, bottom diagram): http://www.awc.org/pdf/wcd1-300.pdf
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #4

Support beam

it's been there since 1970 ? I think you might be ok to leave it
Old 09-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #5

Support beam

So I lied... It's actually a 2x10, never to a measure to it... I've attached the pic via iPhone app so hopefully it shows. The hole is dead center of the beam and the come up from the bottom taking a 3/4 of the 2x10 showing.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #6

Support beam

Tpolk the house was built in 1970, I guess the work was done 1974-78 range. My mother can remember exactly.

I'm more worried about if my mother were to sell the house and a Home inspector came in and deemed the house not fit for occupancy because of that.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Support beam

The horizontal hole would be OK if it is at least 2 inches from the edge of the beam. The vertical hole is not OK, vertical holes in beams are in general never OK. That said, if there is no sagging and no obvious cracking, I would not get overly concerned. If you ever remove the wire, you can fill the hole with a wooden plug of appropriate diameter, full depth, glued in. Those wires look kinda funky, where is the wire sheath, or were individual conductors used? I don't think individual conductors without conduit was OK even in the 1970's, some of the electrical pros on this site might comment.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #8

Support beam

My step father did the work.. My mother gave him the nickname of Jerry-rig George... The green wire I think is a 14-2 and the two black wires look like extension cord wire, not sure if that was used as a common wire years ago. The power is off until I can get them disconnected.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Support beam

That 2x10 is missing enough wood in the drilled section that it is nearly cut in half at that location. I wouldn't leave it like that even the floor hasn't sagged, at minimum glue and screw a 6'x9.5" length of 1" plywood to the outside, and be VERY careful to respect point of support for load bearing walls and posts if anything is moving around upstairs. You don't want to find yourself with anything load bearing on the 1st floor thats not directly over the jackposts in the basement, and especially not on the floor over that spot.

ogagnon is offline   Reply With Quote