Sunroom - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Sunroom

I am getting ready to build a sun room. Size will be about 12 x 16 and it will be about 10 feet till at the short end. Roof will be about a 1/12 pitch. Just a slight slant to run off the water.

The goal is to make this room hot in the winter to help gather heat for the house.

To that end I got some old dual glazed commercial sliding doors in aluminum frames. They are 4x8 and non low E which is what I want. They are tempered and very heavy. I guess about 150 pounds each.

My plan is to strip the frames off and mount them on the roof of the sun room with 2x4 joists on 2 foot centers. The span will be about 8 feet.

The problem I am having is how to mount them up there. I have looked for frames that might fit them and can't find anything that would work. I don't want to pay for custom aluminum frames since that would cost a ton of money.

I had thought about just putting them up and use a thick bead of caulk on the joists with a small piece of aluminum angle bracket on the end to prevent it from slipping down the roof. Then I would take some flat aluminum and use that to bridge the space between panels and caulk that also.

The top would have some HVAC tin as a cap with shingles over that to prevent any water from getting under the top of the glass.

Does this sound reasonable or does anyone have any better ideas.

Snow load is a non issue since Al Gore has promised that we will have global warming so I think that the 2x4's will be fine. Total load on the roof will be the weight of the glass which is about 6 pounds per sq ft dead weight.

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sunroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
I am getting ready to build a sun room. Size will be about 12 x 16 and it will be about 10 feet till at the short end. Roof will be about a 1/12 pitch. Just a slight slant to run off the water.

The goal is to make this room hot in the winter to help gather heat for the house.

To that end I got some old dual glazed commercial sliding doors in aluminum frames. They are 4x8 and non low E which is what I want. They are tempered and very heavy. I guess about 150 pounds each.

My plan is to strip the frames off and mount them on the roof of the sun room with 2x4 joists on 2 foot centers. The span will be about 8 feet.

The problem I am having is how to mount them up there. I have looked for frames that might fit them and can't find anything that would work. I don't want to pay for custom aluminum frames since that would cost a ton of money.

I had thought about just putting them up and use a thick bead of caulk on the joists with a small piece of aluminum angle bracket on the end to prevent it from slipping down the roof. Then I would take some flat aluminum and use that to bridge the space between panels and caulk that also.

The top would have some HVAC tin as a cap with shingles over that to prevent any water from getting under the top of the glass.

Does this sound reasonable or does anyone have any better ideas.

Snow load is a non issue since Al Gore has promised that we will have global warming so I think that the 2x4's will be fine. Total load on the roof will be the weight of the glass which is about 6 pounds per sq ft dead weight.
How about hail stone load?
A 1/12 pitch isn't very much. I have a attached garage with this pitch.
2X4 rafters spanning 12 feet doesn't seem adequate to me.
I'm building a sun room also (just 8X13) and I'll be using 2X8 rafters spanning 8 feet [16" O.C]. Of course, I'm expecting 50psi snow load. In spite of what Al say's!

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Sunroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
How about hail stone load?
A 1/12 pitch isn't very much. I have a attached garage with this pitch.
2X4 rafters spanning 12 feet doesn't seem adequate to me.
I'm building a sun room also (just 8X13) and I'll be using 2X8 rafters spanning 8 feet [16" O.C]. Of course, I'm expecting 50psi snow load. In spite of what Al say's!
The span will only be 8 feet since there will be a header at the top of where the 8 footers start.

I might go with 2x6's in case Al Gore is wrong.

Actually I might go with that anyhow to avoid having to put in a header. I just want to have as little as possible to get in the way of the light.