Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #1

Share |

Sunken living room wall problem..

I have a sunken living room that drops approximately 11 3/4" to the lower foundation. This is where the existing drywall stopped, and carpet was glued to the foundation wall and covered with trim where it meets the drywall. The existing drywall is not flush with the foundation but overhangs from 1/2" in some areas to almost flush with the foundation wall. I've pulled the floor carpet and the wall carpet off to install wood flooring. First Option is to install 1/4" drywall and mud up so it blends with existing drywall and and match texture. The flush areas would just be mud and texture. Second option is to install 1/2" plywood (cut to size) to foundation wall, and add trim where it meets existing drywall and add baseboard at the bottom. Concerns: I heard the mud may crack, is that certain? Will it be reliable? How would the wood be attached? Liquid Nails? Work will be contracted out. I hope this isnt confusing..

Thanks...

Max5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

You don't want either material attached to the block wall. Any moisture can wick into the material.
This is an odd setup. Can you post photos?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #3

Carpet was glued directly to it. Didnt see any moisture... Here's a few pics. What would you recommend? Thanks for your help..
Attached Thumbnails
Sunken living room wall problem..-img_124101.jpg   Sunken living room wall problem..-img_124301.jpg   Sunken living room wall problem..-img_124401.jpg   Sunken living room wall problem..-img_124501.jpg  
Max5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #4

You need to check if there's moisture emminating from the concrete before you decide on a solution.
Take some plastic sheeting and cut it into squares and tape the pieces to the concrete around the curb.
Seal the perimeter completely. Leave it for a few days and see if moisture condenses under the plastic. The results will dictate a posible course of action.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

I waas wondering what solution you came up with for your sunken living room. I have the exact same situation in our home. Any information is appreciated.
floridagirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #6

for a seamless look (and depending on your style and decor), I would put up a bead-board wainscotting with a chair rail to top it off. that would blend the differences between drywall and lower concrete foundation wall over the height of the bead-board material (about 40-44"). bead-board is reasonable cheap and the MDF stuff is ready for paint.

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

I would recommend bringing the sunken floor up to the level of the rest of the first floor.

Sunken floors like this were a product of the same lunacy that gave us Disco and as such should be relegated to the "dust-bin of history".

Andy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #8

No, no, no, Andy! Sunken floors are great for falling over in the night; I know, I have one because of a head room issue w/ an addition. If I could have avoided it, I would; just more damn stairs to deal with. To the OP: I sure makes transportation easier if you have one level, and may avoid some of the problems you are having. Any way to install a 2x floor joist system w/ a plywood top and maybe PEX pipe for heat while you are mucking around? Good luck. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #9

Sunken living rooms were very popular in the 60's and 70's and now have made a huge come back. It's one of our favorite features in the house. We love our living room and would never raise the floor. In addition, it would be impossible. We have doors leading outside that are the level of the room.
Thanks for the replies.

floridagirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, sunken living room