Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #1

Share |

sump pump water lower than normal????

Okay, I recently purchased my home in january of this year. It's located in central jersey. My neighbors tell me that we have a really high water table and water is very common here in this neighborhood. Well Normally this whole time i been living at this house the water by my sump pump is about 8 inches high when the sump pump isnt running. then obviously when it gets higher and hits that certain point the pump will pump the water out. but it seemed always to be about 8 inches of water sitting. ok no big deal.

last night i get up to go to the bathroom and i notice some trickling squirting noise. I check the kitchen, nothing. Then open the basement door and i can tell its coming from there. I realize its from my sump pump hole. I get a flash ligt and look down. and notice that the water level is only about 1 inch high, which is fine i guess because the lower the better right? ok but being that it was so low, the water was completely under the pump not reaching it. but the trickling noise was coming from the bottom of the pump and the bottom of the pcv pipe that was connected to the pump to shoot the water out. It was squirting alot. so i went back to bed and check it again this mornng. same thing water isnt getting higher but still squirting. any idea? maybe i shouldnt be worried because the water is lower which lower is better no? im just confused

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #2

Sounds like some ground water is finding it's way back through the discharge pipe.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Sounds like some ground water is finding it's way back through the discharge pipe.
this is bad?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #4

Nope, not bad
As long as water is draining out & the level is low all is good
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #5

I took this picture with my phone to show you guys what i am talking about. the arrow points to the squirting from the bottomish of the pump, there is another squirt also that is from the bottom of the pvc pipe also but not visible in the picture below. i dont know when this was installed as i moved in jan of this year. the water is about an inch to 2 inches deep, this whole year it was normally about 8 inches all day all summer all spring and late winter this year too... it just rained here about 2 days ago too so i dont know, its been squirting for a day and a half now. just get worried as i am a first time home buyer. thanks guys.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #6

remember monmouth cty had lots of iron in the soil - not to worry - that's a bldr's sump installed when the house was blt,,, whoever put the pump in used zoeller which is, impo, the best & our go-to choice when in biz up there.

the ' squirt ' is from a pinhole in the galv sump & shows you, accidentally, the elevation of the wtr table,,, the pipe squirt's the discharge drain installed near the ck valve - another need'd hole.

not our install - we used only white pvc,,, i'm guessin' it was done by a plumber,,, now go back to bed
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
remember monmouth cty had lots of iron in the soil - not to worry - that's a bldr's sump installed when the house was blt,,, whoever put the pump in used zoeller which is, impo, the best & our go-to choice when in biz up there.

the ' squirt ' is from a pinhole in the galv sump & shows you, accidentally, the elevation of the wtr table,,, the pipe squirt's the discharge drain installed near the ck valve - another need'd hole.

not our install - we used only white pvc,,, i'm guessin' it was done by a plumber,,, now go back to bed

great thanks!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

If this is pump looks like the picture constantly, UNPLUG THE PUMP & CALL A PLUMBER!

The pump is running in the picture, & from your description, has been running for days. At some point, it will burn up. There have been extreme cases where a overheating pump has caused a house fire. It appears the float is stuck or failing from the picture.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
this is bad?
It could be. The drain line should be sloped to drain water away from the house not towards it.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #10

don't know how jo can see the pump switch 'cause its hidden from view by the pump body,,, didn't read where the pump was running, either.

Zoeller m-53's switch is mechanical on guide rails, NOT the floating ping-pong ball type,,, stay in bed ! ! !
Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

IRC, how many days should the discharge pipe be "squirting" & the crock be completely empty (in a high water table) before one can assume that the pumps running?

In my experiences, the pin hole will be under water shortly after the pump turns off.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #12

well it doesnt seem to me that the pump is running, just the water squirting, the reason why i think its off is because you dont hear that pump sound like when it pumps the water out. the only noise is really the water hitting the sides of the that tin cylinder. still confused
Old 11-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #13

' squrt ' in a discharge line's usually from drain hole zoeller sez to drill into discharge line just above ck valve making the pump's work easier when it switch's - no standing wtr in the discharge line = easier ' start load ' on the pump,,, if there's not sufficient wtr in the sump, pump won't start UNLESS someone picks up the float.

as we install 'em, the drain hole's above wtr level since its above the ck valve.

here's something to try hit the breaker controlling the pump & ' see ' if you can ' hear ' any change in the pump's noise,,, this means you gotta get outta bed, of course notwithstanding all our posts, joed might've hit on it 1st time outta the box

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 11-28-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #14

dont i feel like an idiot. the float was stuck up, you can see it in the pic. dont know why the float didnt come back down but that was the problem. lots of water in this area. no rain in a week and i had the pump unplugged for 3 hours and bin was almost 3/4 full. thanks guys for the replies
Old 11-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #15

sonny, my eyes aren't that bad yet but i STILL don't ' see ' the float & we put in 5 zoeller m-53's a wk,,, htf jo could see it from HIS house's beyond me you live there so you ARE the idiot-in-residence,,, i'm evidently the consulting idiot next time, remember - #1, is the switch on ? and #2, is there fuel in it ?,,, the answers to these 2 questions resolve most of the mechanical issues in the world

its all part of owning a home & gaining knowledge/experience,,, welcome aboard ! ! ! the learnin' never stops, btw.