Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #1

Share |

Sump pump pit water level

Should the sump pump pit always contain water? syince I moved to my house 10 yrs ago, I noticed that the sump pump pit has water always even after weeks of no rain. in fact, i've never seen it empty. I have a pedestal sump pump w/c works fine but there's always water in the pit. I tried emptying the pit by manually triggering the the sump pump switch, but water level would go up after about half an hour.

Ralph123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #2

It totally depends on the house. Different lots have different characteristics. Your house might be built right at the water table, or perhaps is just on a rock formation that pools water underground. Perhaps you have a leaky water service or lawn sprinkler pipe.

Remember that there are (probably) perforated drains all around your house that lead into that pit.

It would not worry me that there's always a little water in the pit. That means that the drainage system is doing its job. If the pit is full to the level of the underside of the slab you need to look into it. If it is a foot or two down, don't sweat it.

Just keep that pump in good working order and test it often. I always recommend a second pump as a backup in the same pit, in case the other one dies.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Just keep that pump in good working order and test it often. I always recommend a second pump as a backup in the same pit, in case the other one dies.[/quote]

I agree its better to be safe then sorry.

If you can not fit two pumps in the pit Like mine. Set the new one up with an new check valve and a furn co coupling. for quick replacement. set the float the same as the old. you can change it in less then 4 minutes.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably get a new sump pump and use my existing one as back up. I've been in my house 10 years and that sump pump has been there since I moved in.

More questions. What is a good electric power system back up for a sump pump? I've heard of stories of basement flooding during a storm because sump pumps are not operational due to a power outage.

I have a pedestal sump pump in my unfinished basement. Does it make sense to switch to a submersible sump pump?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #5

submersible pumps're more often chosen by pro's than lighter-duty pedestal pumps,,, backup pumps're always 12v w/storage batteries attached - we preferr'd marine storage batteries,,, backup gpm's aren't as high's elec but still better'n a sharp stick in the eye,,, battery backups can also be installed on pedestal pumps.

over 110' length, you should have 2 main pumps,,, we always used zoeller w/1 1/4" pvc discharge lines,,, most pumps'll last forever if, in 10 yrs, they're rarely used,,, like any other tool, nothin' breaks til you use it test often & that's not even any guarantee.

wtr in the sump's not an issue as its only lowered to the switch activation level,,, adjust your limits on the thin rod alongside the pedestal til you're satisfied,,, CAUTION - don't adjust so the pump runs 'dry' OR, in the case of submersibles, the housing's dry,,, they need wtr to keep motors cool.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #6

I thought about adjusting the switch so that the sump pumpt turns on at a lower water level in the pit....However, I'm concernt that it might cause the sump pump to overwork, drain tne motor pre maturely or even burn...

I guess the solution is a back-up sump pump that could work on marine battery and can be installed along side existing pump.

Could I combine a pedestal sump pump with a submersible back-up pump?

I also noticed that submersible pumps seem to be less expensive for same horse-power strength. Do they have same reliability?

Any recommended brand, Wayne, Crafstman, Floatec, etc?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #7

we always used zoeller 1/3hp w/float switch on the rod, not a floating mercury switch,,, if i remember right, we'd fit a pvc reducer on the discharge port from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" then use 1 1/4" pvc discharge line

zoeller battery backups were piggy-backed onto the discharge line,,, no reason you can't do the same w/pedestal IF the pump's secured to withstand the torque resulting from operating startup forces.

reliability - we ALWAYS used zoeller - every week, another 20 from ferguson in nj,,, have replaced all the names you list but your choice.

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote