Sump Pump Lids Flush With Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sump pump lids flush with floor

Hello;
I got an estimate to dry out my basement. Part of that estimate includes installing a sump pump. The pump offered has a lid that sits flush with the floor and therefore there is no gaping hole in the floor. They would charge $1,100 for this pump; I've looked at comparable pumps online and found them for just about $200, but can't find them with the lid flush against the floor. Are those available retail?

Advertisement

cheflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheflora View Post
Hello;
I got an estimate to dry out my basement. Part of that estimate includes installing a sump pump. The pump offered has a lid that sits flush with the floor and therefore there is no gaping hole in the floor. They would charge $1,100 for this pump; I've looked at comparable pumps online and found them for just about $200, but can't find them with the lid flush against the floor. Are those available retail?
Home Depot sells one you can use for under $100.00.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

I'd make sure that the crock can flush with the floor first. Code here requires the top of the crock to be at least 1" above the floor to avoid pumping a potential sewage back-up out on your lawn or into the storm sewer. As for the price, it really depends on the pump and the amount of labor involved as well.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 83

The lid is separate from the pump. Generally you install a liner with a cover, and then install whatever pump you want.

I installed a sump pump last spring and I used this liner that I found on Amazon. I set it flush with the floor, installed a submersible pump, and then covered it with the lid. The whole project cost me about $400.

If you can wait until the dry season it will be much easier to dig the hole, which needs to be about 30" deep. When I did it I hit ground water 12" below my slab, and it made the rest of the digging very difficult.
cumak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,470

we charge $ 1,250 ( going rate in atl is $ 1,750 ) incl conc breaking, excavation, sump, 1/3hp ZOELLER pump & ck valve, 25' 1 1/2" pvc sched 40 discharge line, bolted-on lid, & conc replacement. nothing comes from the apron store - NOTHING !

2 guys - 1/2d each - $400 is low for the quality components we use.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 83

I used similar components, except my Zoeller pump was the 1/2 HP model. I picked up the pump and check valve from my local plumbing supply for about $225. The liner and locking cover were about $50. The rest was for the PVC discharge line, gravel, cement, GFCI receptacle, and rental of a demolition hammer. About $400 total.
cumak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
we charge $ 1,250 ( going rate in atl is $ 1,750 ) incl conc breaking, excavation, sump, 1/3hp ZOELLER pump & ck valve, 25' 1 1/2" pvc sched 40 discharge line, bolted-on lid, & conc replacement. nothing comes from the apron store - NOTHING !

2 guys - 1/2d each - $400 is low for the quality components we use.
This is something I really don't get, what in the world is wrong with a Ridgid pump compared to a Zoeller? Rigid has all the same or better components and a lifetime warranty and sold at HD, or as you refer to it the apron store.

The last pump I had, was a 1/2 hp Ridgid, in a sump that required it to run I would say at least 10-15 min of every hour, every day all year, after (3) years the float switch failed, the sump went to backup, I went to that so called horrible place, openned 7 days 6a-9p, and got a new one, no questions asked.

Get that kind of service, from your local plumbing company after (3) years, on a sunday, at no charge, if you provide that kind of service I will call you tomorrow otherwise, you shouldn't misdirect.

Anyone that would install a 1/3 hp pump shouldn't refer to their stuff as quality, as the duty cycle on that pump wouldn't last a year, in a high flow sump.

I have found you get what you pay for, the Zoeller you mention is a $125 vrs the Ridgid at $190.

Just my 2 cents,

Mark

Advertisement