Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #1

Share |

Sump pump drain through vinyl siding

I'm just about finished with my sump pump project, but it has to drain through the side of the house which has vinyl siding. I'm very nervous about cutting a 1.5" hole in it because I'm not exactly sure just where the exit will be. What is the best way to cut a 1.5" round hole for the PVC discharge pipe?

Swillbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #2

A drill-mounted holesaw should do the trick. Be sure to seal around that pipe with a flexible exterior caulk.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Electrician

I always run the saw in reverse when using a hole saw and vinyl siding. Also, just measure off a window or something if your unsure where to drill, or use a small pilot bit.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillbee View Post
I'm just about finished with my sump pump project, but it has to drain through the side of the house which has vinyl siding. I'm very nervous about cutting a 1.5" hole in it because I'm not exactly sure just where the exit will be. What is the best way to cut a 1.5" round hole for the PVC discharge pipe?
I've done this before and this is what I did:

You have to take your tape measure and measure the height off the top of the foundation wall (inside and outside) and locate where you want your pipe to go through, and make sure it's between the joists.

Once you have found the point where you want to drill the hole, you can use a thin spade bit and drill the hole through the siding from the outside (centered on the siding flap) and through the sheathing.

Once you do this, you can see on the inside of the basement where you need to core out a hole with your hole saw.

Use your hole saw and a high powered drill. Your sheathing is probably 3/4" so you're going to have to exert some force to get that chunk out from the inside.

Once you're through, you can go back outside, press the siding down to find the hole, and core the siding.

Poke the pvc pipe through, and seal on the outside with plumber's putty. On the inside, seal with expanding foam.

Last edited by handy man88; 09-29-2008 at 08:53 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #5

wow, you guys're pro's busy this weekend ? ? ? if not, c'mon down !
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #6

Thanks to all who replied, it will be a HUGE help on judgement day!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #7

Get one of those old wire coat hangers. Cut off the bottom part at an angle. This will be your pilot drill. It is long and makes a small hole.

Do your best to see where the hole is going to go. Then use the coat hanger bit to drill a pilot hole. This will tell you about where it will come out.

I drill vinyl siding all the time. Not a problem with a hole saw. Just go slow.

My question is: Why are you making a 1.5 inch hole for a sump pump discharge????? Are you pumping hundreds of thousands of gallons?

I usually install a 1/2 or 3/4 pipe out and they work just fine.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
Get one of those old wire coat hangers. Cut off the bottom part at an angle. This will be your pilot drill. It is long and makes a small hole.

Do your best to see where the hole is going to go. Then use the coat hanger bit to drill a pilot hole. This will tell you about where it will come out.

I drill vinyl siding all the time. Not a problem with a hole saw. Just go slow.

My question is: Why are you making a 1.5 inch hole for a sump pump discharge????? Are you pumping hundreds of thousands of gallons?

I usually install a 1/2 or 3/4 pipe out and they work just fine.
1.5 hole is standard size for most 1/3 hp sump pumps these days that come with the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch PVC threaded adapter.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #9

Flo Tec shows the discharge pipe to be a 1.25" or a 1.50" pipe and is capable of moving 2460 GPH at 10 feet of lift. I went with 1.50" pipe just to reduce starin on the motor because I have about a 45 foot run and 7 90 degree elbows to exit the house. This pump is probably more than I really need but I really don't like pulling carpets and drying them out.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillbee View Post
Flo Tec shows the discharge pipe to be a 1.25" or a 1.50" pipe and is capable of moving 2460 GPH at 10 feet of lift. I went with 1.50" pipe just to reduce starin on the motor because I have about a 45 foot run and 7 90 degree elbows to exit the house. This pump is probably more than I really need but I really don't like pulling carpets and drying them out.
Is your sump pump 1/3 or 1/2 HP?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Is your sump pump 1/3 or 1/2 HP?

I have a 1/2 HP pump, thermo plastic case and a vertical float.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #12

1/3rd hp zoeller, 1 1/2" reducer on the pump down to 1 1/4", 1 1/3" discharge was std for us... but SEVEN 90s ? ? ? SEVEN ? ? ? wow ! ! !
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsconcrete View Post
1/3rd hp zoeller, 1 1/2" reducer on the pump down to 1 1/4", 1 1/3" discharge was std for us... but SEVEN 90s ? ? ? SEVEN ? ? ? wow ! ! !

Yeah, this pump is installed in a 12" X 12" pit that was already in the garage floor and I want it to discharge at the farthest downward corner of the house to prevent "re-circulation" of the water. The interior garage walls are sheetrocked and has some difficult angles that had to be dealt with. Thats probably why the builder did'nt bother to put one in when the house was built.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #14

Geeeez...did you build in the 9th ward? I have never seen a pump needed like that.

In our neck of the woods a sump pump needs about 5 gpm and most of the time rusts before it gets used.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #15

Water was present on the garage floor only a couple of times a year(after a big rain or snow melt) and even less in the carpeted lower level family room. I think with a 1.5 inch discharge and a 1/2 hp motor, I should be OK.