Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Ron Paul 2012

Share |

Suggestions - Mounting TV (Metal Studs)

I have a t.v. that has to go up in the office and I have expierence mounting tv's at my house as well as others, but they were wood studs.

I would imagine using toggles as well as drilling into the stud, but I was offered a suggestion about shooting a toggle through a metal stud to hold the t.v and this was something I have not heard before.

Any suggestions on toggle sizes and methods of mounting the tv would be appreciated. It is about a 37inch tv I am mounting.

HandymanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

The best way would be to place a piece of plywood attached to the studs, that the mount attaches to. Otherwise, if just a LCD, follow the manufacturers instructions in mounting. Personally if it was me, I would be placing a section of plywood behind the gypsum, so that it makes for a better mounting surface.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Ron Paul 2012

Plywood would be on the outside of the drywall secured to the studs, what would be the best way of securing to the studs? I imagine that the toggles would be pre-drilled through the plywood then the drywall for mounting.

Thanks again.
HandymanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

No, the plywood goes behind the gypsum then you replace the section of gypsum that you removed. Then secure the gypsum and patch.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #5

A sheet of 5/8'' plywood about 1'-8'' square screw fixed to the studs would help to disribute the loads. This assumes there is no dry wall, or the dry wall is partly removed to gain access. Trim the plywood to fit neatly beween the metal studs, blocking either side to fix the plywood flush with the stud flange. Restate the drwwall and paint to conceal. Screw 1.5'' self tapping heavy duty screws in the four holes in the mounting bracket plate into the drywall and plywood. Although this is the best way, it's also the hardest.

Note before you start, position bracket where required and drill or mark small hole in drywall in centre of bracket. If you have an accurate stud finder, mark the nearest studs either side, or using a rotary 2'' drill bit, saw a hole into dry wall. Hopefully, you have have found the approximate centre or near centre between studs, and poking a tape or ruler till it meets the stud will tell you where the studs are (or use a stud finder.) If you're not lucky, you can move the bracket to centre between studs, so you will need only a single piece of plywood, otherwise, you will need two pieces either side of the middle stud.

If you can get at least two metal screws into one side of the bracket directly into a stud and use two toggles into the drywall, you can avoid putting in the plywood with all the pain of cutting out the drywall and reinstating. This option is the least secure and will support up to 30'' TV's..

Better still, some brackets are designed to span two studs, so as long as you work to stud spacings, all you have to do is drill a small holes each side of the bracket into the studs and use heavy duty self tappers. This is the easiest and reasonably strong method to take up to a 46'' TV. Bigger TV's require more involved systems and specialized brackets. It may be additional studs have to be placed and reinforced.

Cheers from Oz.
JoJo-Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #6

I don't understand why you guys are suggesting using plywood for blocking? If you use plywood you will have to put something else behind it because you can't screw through the metal studs into the edges of the plywood! Just use 2x#(8 or 10 or?)s for the blocking. Cut them to fit between the studs and insert screws through the studs into them. Replace the sheetrock and then use lag bolts to hold the TV mount on to the blocking. Much simpler and a safer than using plywood and toggle bolts.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

Plywood is easier to fix, spreads the load evenly and stronger than blocking because it covers a larger area. The screw holes are not near the edge of the pywood, they should be in the centre or as near as, that's the whole point. The back of the plywood can be block for additional support, but this would be for super size TV's.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo-Arch View Post
Plywood is easier to fix, spreads the load evenly and stronger than blocking because it covers a larger area. The screw holes are not near the edge of the pywood, they should be in the centre or as near as, that's the whole point. The back of the plywood can be block for additional support, but this would be for super size TV's.
I was talking about the screws for attaching the bracket to the blocking, you would either have to screw into the edge of the pywood or attach blocking behind it to attach it to the metal studs.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I was talking about the screws for attaching the bracket to the blocking, you would either have to screw into the edge of the pywood or attach blocking behind it to attach it to the metal studs.
Yes, that is one way to do it. If you do the plywood correctly, and the right thickness, you do not need blocking.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yes, that is one way to do it. If you do the plywood correctly, and the right thickness, you do not need blocking.
Please explain? You only have a lip on the inside of one of the studs.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

The strength is in the vertical, but also the horizontal of the sheet of 3/4 inch plywood, when placed between the framing members, helps to strengthen the horizontal deflection. Keep in mind, the sheet of Gypsum placed over the framing helps also to strengthen the overall movement, due to they are secured by screws to the gypsum. It wold have to take a lot of force to do any kind of damage to the section.

Steel framing members are just as strong as wood 2x4's.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The strength is in the vertical, but also the horizontal of the sheet of 3/4 inch plywood, when placed between the framing members, helps to strengthen the horizontal deflection. Keep in mind, the sheet of Gypsum placed over the framing helps also to strengthen the overall movement, due to they are secured by screws to the gypsum. It wold have to take a lot of force to do any kind of damage to the section.

Steel framing members are just as strong as wood 2x4's.
I certainly agree about the steel framing. So you're not actually attaching the plywood to the studs, you are using inches to expand the area of contact. I can see how this would work very good if you had full sheets of sheetrock but in this case if you're cutting a section out to install it, it could cause problems.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

If the studs are framed, so that you can place the ply between and use the vertical flange to screw it down, it helps. Otherwise, you could use either wood blocking or two 18" sections of steel framing secured to the stud, that would hold the ply. Then after that, put the sheetrock back and tape and mud and finish.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
Electrician

I've mounted 100's of flat panels on all types of surfaces. When it comes to your situation no need to cut out or add any thing...its only a 37" flat that probably weighs no more than ahhhh 60lbs. What you need is a good screw gun, 3/4 hole saw, 1/4" x 3" toggle bolts and 1-1/4" fender washers. This will do the job with ease. What you need to do is make sure you're drilling into the CENTER OF THE METAL STUD!!! Also DO NOT over tighten the toggles...they're not holding up the house, just the 37" flat. Get the toggles snug then about another 1/2 to full turn and if your not familiar with toggles don't use your screw gun for the last couple of turns, use a #3 philips or a flat head you need to feel this part.
StackEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #15

That works when you find the studs, and they are in the right place you want to fix the bracket. What if the bracket is placed between the studs?, I wouldn't expect the drywall to hold up 60lbs and if the bracket swivels out from the wall, you will need to call out a repair man to fix the damaged wall and the TV on the floor.
Cheers from the land of the big TV's.