Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Suggestions for best way to fix improperly installed siding

I installed vinyl siding on a family member's house in NY about six years ago. I did siding once when I worked for a contractor the previous summer, so I thought I knew what I was doing. I was wrong (I guess I worked for a crappy contractor). Now I'm looking for suggestions on how I should fix my mistakes.

I started the original installation by tearing off the old siding down to bare wood (lateral boards, not plywood). I installed Polar Fold insulation sheeting without sealing gaps between the insulation panels. I did not use tyvek or tar paper. I also did not properly seal around the windows or doors (I just used j-channel).

Now I see the signs of a problem. I can see the inside of the wall in the garage, and after a long, hard rain I can see some water seepage at the base of the garage window. Itís not a lot, but I know that I shouldnít see any water on the inside of the wall. I also notice a fair amount of condensation on the inside of the windows throughout the house, and small black specs of mold have been forming on the inside of the window frames. There are also a couple spots of black mold on the walls in close proximity to the windows. It wipes off easily.

How should I fix this? Should I take off all the siding and insulation, install tar paper or tyvek on the whole house, properly seal the windows and doors with flashing tape, and re-hang the siding? Or do I just have to do this around the windows and doors to ensure that water drains off the house and to the ground in those areas?

Thank you in advance for any advice. This is really stressing me out; I wish I hadnít done this job in the first place, but I didnít know enough six years ago to know how little I knew and how much I was doing wrong.

gb14468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

At least you got this before it was a disaster. I'd look on buildingscience.com and greenbuildingadvisor.com and read about window flashing, rain screens, WRB's, and exterior insulation, particularly how thick it should be so you don't have your exterior boards rotting.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb14468 View Post
Should I take off all the siding and insulation, install tar paper or tyvek on the whole house, properly seal the windows and doors with flashing tape, and re-hang the siding?
The short answer is yes.

You can leave the foam on (assuming there is no rot) and install a weather barrier over that with proper flashing details.

There really isn’t any shortcuts, you need to remove all of the siding and prep the wall correctly.

If you’re careful you should be able to reuse all of the old siding.

Post some pictures if you want more detailed info on flashing details.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 02-04-2012 at 08:57 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #4

It's all going to have to come off now down to the studs and by now there's going to be insulation, framing and may even be drywall damage.
Treat for the mold. Use OSB not foam, Tyvek and window tape.
DO not use tar paper!
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb14468 View Post
I installed vinyl siding on a family member's house in NY about six years ago. I did siding once when I worked for a contractor the previous summer, so I thought I knew what I was doing. I was wrong (I guess I worked for a crappy contractor). Now I'm looking for suggestions on how I should fix my mistakes.

I started the original installation by tearing off the old siding down to bare wood (lateral boards, not plywood). I installed Polar Fold insulation sheeting without sealing gaps between the insulation panels. I did not use tyvek or tar paper. I also did not properly seal around the windows or doors (I just used j-channel).

Now I see the signs of a problem. I can see the inside of the wall in the garage, and after a long, hard rain I can see some water seepage at the base of the garage window. Itís not a lot, but I know that I shouldnít see any water on the inside of the wall. I also notice a fair amount of condensation on the inside of the windows throughout the house, and small black specs of mold have been forming on the inside of the window frames. There are also a couple spots of black mold on the walls in close proximity to the windows. It wipes off easily.

How should I fix this? Should I take off all the siding and insulation, install tar paper or tyvek on the whole house, properly seal the windows and doors with flashing tape, and re-hang the siding? Or do I just have to do this around the windows and doors to ensure that water drains off the house and to the ground in those areas?

Thank you in advance for any advice. This is really stressing me out; I wish I hadnít done this job in the first place, but I didnít know enough six years ago to know how little I knew and how much I was doing wrong.
well try not to stress out to much you already know what needs to be done ... and the fact that your stressed over say alot about you take a deep breath and you decide what is needed on your part to ease your conscience Iam sure you will do the right thing good luck..ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
DO not use tar paper!
Joe: Why not?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #7

Sounds like you've already identified all the likely "learning opportunities." HOWEVER: You have a mold problem. Your family member needs to fix the entire situation here or their home will be worthless very soon.

Please, call someone in to do a mold inspection. It won't be very expensive or invasive, and the homeowner needs to know if there is mold behind the walls of the rest of the house. Seriously, everything could look fine and dandy in the rest of the house, but this MUST be done. There is likely a pretty big problem behind the drywall. Some mold remediation can be done by a DIY'er, so open a new post after you have figured this out and someone can talk you through some options, although be prepared to hear that you need to hire a pro.

Please, please get the inspection.
RenoStruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #8

Tar paper would form a double vaper barrier. And there will be mold inside the walls.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Now wait a minute guys. No one is sure that the siding and the installation is the problem.
From the OP's description it could possibly be a problem of a poorly vented house. Try turning on the bathroom vents and cracking open a window, to see if that alleviates the condensation problem, (if that is what it is).
If that works then think about installing a permanent exhaust for the whole house.
This is actually code now in CA. for purposes of venting the house.

Andy.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb14468
I installed vinyl siding on a family member's house in NY about six years ago. I did siding once when I worked for a contractor the previous summer, so I thought I knew what I was doing. I was wrong (I guess I worked for a crappy contractor). .
Amazing....your blaming your mistakes on the siding contractor. What made you think you can side a whole house after doing just one siding job.

You screwed the whole job up yourself because it was your own fault because you had no idea what you were doing. That's all you had to do was admit it was your own fault...not a crappy siding guys fault.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 02-04-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Amazing....your blaming your mistakes on the siding contractor. What made you think you can side a whole house after doing just one siding job.

You screwed the whole job up yourself because it was your own fault because you had no idea what you were doing. That's all you had to do was admit it was your own fault...not a crappy siding guys fault.
Wow.

Andy.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Tar paper would form a double vaper barrier. And there will be mold inside the walls.
I figured you thought that. Polyethylene (visqueen) is virtually non-permeable, at 0.06. 15# felt is highly permeable, at around 30. Tyvek is about 58. There is no problem using 15# felt; it is still one of the best WRB's there is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (02-06-2012), loneframer (02-05-2012)