Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Suggestions/Advice on water into track of sliding glass door causing carpet damage

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct room for this topic so feel free to move. I have had a problem with water getting into the back via the sliding glass door. I don't know #1 how to prevent water from filling up in the track and #2 if the water is coming in from the top or the bottom. I've attached pictures of the door and the damage it has caused the carped. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions/Advice on water into track of sliding glass door causing carpet damage-dsc_0001.jpg   Suggestions/Advice on water into track of sliding glass door causing carpet damage-dsc_0002.jpg   Suggestions/Advice on water into track of sliding glass door causing carpet damage-dsc_0003.jpg   Suggestions/Advice on water into track of sliding glass door causing carpet damage-dsc_0004.jpg  

fenster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,024

Suggestions/Advice on water into track of sliding glass door causing carpet damage

The track at the bottom may have worn or corroded through in a few places letting water seep under it, or there may be screws that hold it in place that should have caulking.

See if there are bleed holes on the outside to let water in the track seep outside before it can seep under the frame and into the house.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sorry for the late reply, I will check on that. But can't rainfall on the left side of the track flow into the track on the right side?
fenster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I just replaced my door it leaked at one of the screws on the bottom but also leaked in the corner where the frame came together I learned this is quite common. my leaks went unnoticed and did damage to the framing put some water in the door and see if you can detect where the leak is from
artmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,076

The deck was built too high. It should be a lower than the threshold.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,256

While we can't see under the threshold, my bet is there is no pan under it. If your carpet is rotten, most likely if there is no pan, you will have some damage under the door also.

Stop by and vote for member of the month:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/vote-n...4/#post1414192

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote