Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #1

Share |
Question

subfloors

I just bought a house that was built in 1952. the living room was converted to an indoor room from a garage. when we bought the house the room was carpeted and the carpet was covered in cat urine. after we ripped up the carpet we discovered that the sub-floor was damaged badly from the cats. after pricing we reasoned that it would be best and more cost effective to rip out the old sub-floor and replace it. i'm wondering what the best way to go about doing this would be. looking to save as much money as possible, but not have to resort to using substandard materials. we are planning on putting down new carpet,if any one has any tips on how to do that ourselves (there is some carpet laying experience in our crew of helpers) it would be greatly appreciated!

eray87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #2

subfloors

Got some pictures?
Cut the subflooring between the floor joist, and pry it out with a pry bar.
I use one of these to speed things up.
http://www.thegutster.com/

I'd be looking at what's under that floor once it's torn out to see if they used a vaper barrier and or any foam insulation under the floor.

For A subfloor I'd be using 3/4 T X G Advantec subflooring with constrution adhesive on top of the joist and 8D ring shank nails following the nailing patten right on the panels.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Special User

subfloors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eray87 View Post
I just bought a house that was built in 1952. the living room was converted to an indoor room from a garage.
If it used to be a garage, does that mean there's concrete below the wooden subfloor?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

subfloors

Most likly, no way to tell from here.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #5

subfloors

Depending on how it was done you may wind up going right down to the concrete floor (if there is one). If they did not use a proper vapor barrier then the framing could be bad as well. The best way to find out is to use good ole' elbow grease and start tearing it out. Don't stop till you get to something solid
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote