Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Subfloor is bowing

I am noticing a problem with my 4 year old house. It appears that the plywood subfloor is bowing upward along the seams where the plywood meets. From the basement, I can see that the adhesive used between the joist and the plywood was not used at the seams. This is a ranch home with a full basement in Wisconsin. Any idea what would cause this, and how it can be remedied?

thanks.

sweep the leg johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Subfloor is bowing

Sounds like the plywood sheets were butted too tight when laid, There should have a 1/8" space (typically a nail is used for spacing gauge) between sheets to allow for expansion. Unfortunately, I don't know of any fix that does not require removing the floor covering and running a saw down the seams to provide this space. You can either live with it until the flooring (carpet) needs replacing, or pay a carpet guy to come in and cut the seams so you can roll the carpet back to do this, then restretch and seam.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Subfloor is bowing

thanks for the reply,

The subfloor is tongue and groove. That is where the humps are occurring. I was thinking of sanding it down next time I replace the carpet. I'm not sure how well that would help, though.
sweep the leg johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Subfloor is bowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweep the leg johnny View Post
thanks for the reply,

The subfloor is tongue and groove. That is where the humps are occurring. I was thinking of sanding it down next time I replace the carpet. I'm not sure how well that would help, though.
Sanding is not the solution. As stated before, the sheets were installed too close together. You need to provide a release cut along the offending seam. Then glue it and screw it down.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Subfloor is bowing

Ron's advice is good, but doing it will be a nightmare! Sanding will probably help unless your house is shifting for one reason or another.

There should not be any adhesive between the panels in the tongue and groove joint. The only place they should have glued is on top of each joist.
Do not add glue at the joints!!!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote