Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
SGI

Share |

Subfloor in attic

We have a contractor coming in to build a staircase to our attic and to re-enforce the floor so that we can turn it into 2 bedrooms and a half bath. We are wanting to finish the attic ourselves. My question is: Should we wait until we know EXACTLY where the half bath will go before we lay the subfloor down? Or does it make things easier by getting the subfloor put in first then going from there....

SGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #2

Subfloor in attic

How are they going to run the drains of there's a floor in place?
I sure hope this guy knows what there doing.
Did you get an engineer to speck out the sizing and placement of the new floor joist walls and bathroom?
There's a whole lot of planing that needs to be done to get an attic conversion done right.
Just how to insulatate it correctly is a science in it's self.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
SGI

Subfloor in attic

No, we don't really know what we are doing, that is why I was asking. I haven't informed aour contractors yet of our plans to finish the attic ourselves.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Subfloor in attic

Is this some pie-in-the-sky idea, or have you started in on it? Do you have a set of approved plans? A permit? Do you realize that each bedroom will have to have an egress window (they are not small). As noted by joecaption, turning an attic into living space is not a trivial exercise.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Subfloor in attic

It a very common misconseption that since there looks like a lot of waisted in the attic to try to just make it into living space.
By far most attics where never built for even storage never mind living space.

What's the width and spans of the joist?
What's the width of the rafters?

Most attics only used joist strong enough to support the drywall or plaster ceilings below.
Most have such narrow roof rafters that there's no room for insulation and need to be added on to so there's room for the insulation and foam baffles for air flow to the peak of the roof.
You going to have to add a ridge vent to the top of the roof if you do not already have one to get rid of all the heat.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Framing Contractor

Subfloor in attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGI
No, we don't really know what we are doing, that is why I was asking. I haven't informed aour contractors yet of our plans to finish the attic ourselves.
You will have to answer all of the questions that were asked of you first before you get any answers.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #7

Subfloor in attic

SGI,

in addition the questions already posted by others you need to check with your local building department and find out what you insulation requirements are for new construction. These requirements are based upon your location and the code adopted. You may have to oversize or pad out some of the framing to meet your insulation requirements.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
SGI

Subfloor in attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Is this some pie-in-the-sky idea, or have you started in on it? Do you have a set of approved plans? A permit? Do you realize that each bedroom will have to have an egress window (they are not small). As noted by joecaption, turning an attic into living space is not a trivial exercise.

No, we have been planning this for a while. We have had 3 contractors in here to even see if it is possible to turn the attic into an upstairs...they all agree that it is possible. We have not started anything yet and yes, we are aware that we need a permit. There are already 2 very large egress windows on both ends of the attic.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
SGI

Subfloor in attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It a very common misconseption that since there looks like a lot of waisted in the attic to try to just make it into living space.
By far most attics where never built for even storage never mind living space.

What's the width and spans of the joist?
What's the width of the rafters?

Most attics only used joist strong enough to support the drywall or plaster ceilings below.
Most have such narrow roof rafters that there's no room for insulation and need to be added on to so there's room for the insulation and foam baffles for air flow to the peak of the roof.
You going to have to add a ridge vent to the top of the roof if you do not already have one to get rid of all the heat.

The contractors are going to re-enforce the flooring in the attic for us first. We already have a ridge vent on the top of the roof. I do not know the width and spans of the joist nor the width of the rafters.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
SGI

Subfloor in attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
SGI,

in addition the questions already posted by others you need to check with your local building department and find out what you insulation requirements are for new construction. These requirements are based upon your location and the code adopted. You may have to oversize or pad out some of the framing to meet your insulation requirements.

Good luck!
Thank you! The contractors all brought up that issue. We have insulation up there now that had been blown in about 9 years ago when we moved in, but they said we may want to remove it so it exposes everything in order to build, then put it back in along with insulating the new walls up there.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #11

Subfloor in attic

SGI,

I wanted to just make you aware. I do not know the area you are located thus I do not know your building code. What I do know is that the International Energy Conservation Code has some pretty substantial insulation requirements depending on the part of the country you live in. You can find out from your building department which if any they have adopted. Here is a link to the various releases of the code. They have it broken down by towns and states.

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/iecc/index.htm

Glad to see your builders are on top of things. The building department can also tell you their requirement for Emergency Rescue Openings for the bedrooms. Typically with the window in the open position you need a clear opening height of 24" and a clear opening width of 20". The window must be at least 5.7 square feet in area, and cannot be more than 44" above the finish floor. You are required to have at least one Rescue Opening per Bedroom. I always find it better to know all the requirements before hand than find out during the inspection.

Good luck and post any questions you may have

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
SGI

Subfloor in attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
SGI,

I wanted to just make you aware. I do not know the area you are located thus I do not know your building code. What I do know is that the International Energy Conservation Code has some pretty substantial insulation requirements depending on the part of the country you live in. You can find out from your building department which if any they have adopted. Here is a link to the various releases of the code. They have it broken down by towns and states.

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/iecc/index.htm

Glad to see your builders are on top of things. The building department can also tell you their requirement for Emergency Rescue Openings for the bedrooms. Typically with the window in the open position you need a clear opening height of 24" and a clear opening width of 20". The window must be at least 5.7 square feet in area, and cannot be more than 44" above the finish floor. You are required to have at least one Rescue Opening per Bedroom. I always find it better to know all the requirements before hand than find out during the inspection.

Good luck and post any questions you may have

Thank you for the info!