Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Share |

sturdy lego-meccano-like building blocks

Hi!

I have a question that may sound strange but i thought i'd give it a shot anyway.
I'd like to build various accessories for my furnitures, for instance I need some kind of arch above my bed to hang stuff from. this is just one example. now, i hardly have any equipment (saw, screwdrivers, ...) nor any serious knowledge on building things, aside from common sense and a keen sense of logic! so far my googling has not yielded anything interesting.

i was wondering if there exists some kind of equivalent of lego-meccano-likes that would be suited for that task. obviously the two aforementioned brands would be much to weak for that, but it would make sense that something similar yet sturdier exists. a bit like ikea's stuff is easy to assemble, but that would give you much more freedom (i mean the stuff i was able to build with meccano as a kid were incredible...! yet too weak for my today's needs). so in other words, construction materials with pre-existing holes, with various board sizes, and so on. it may sound difficult to achieve, but if properly designed, you can build some really sturdy stuff even without nails and screws. obviously aesthetic is the least of my priorities here.

so i thought i'd see what DIY experts have to say about it!
Thanks a lot,
Anthony

anthony.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #2

there is actually. i forget the name of the material but its basically like a very sturdy 'foam' board that you can cut into any size and build from. the example i saw was they cut sheets up and build a partition in the bathroom. the material is waterproof too.

federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #3

thanks a lot for the answer federer, i wish you remembered the name of the brand though! there has got to be other people in the same situation.
anthony.c is offline   Reply With Quote