DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Studs vs Furring Strips In the Basement (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/studs-vs-furring-strips-basement-159746/)

brockmiera 10-11-2012 11:31 AM

Studs vs Furring Strips In the Basement
 
I am on the demolition phase of my basement remodel. The basement walls right now have 1x2 furring strips vertically every 16" O.C. attached directly to the basement walls. I want to put in extruded poly probably 1" on all exterior basement walls for a good thermal break.

My question is this. Should I frame a 2x4 stud wall just to the inside of the poly or should I use new furring strips vertically to attach drywall to?

My initial thought is to go with 2x4 wall but in the interest of saving valuable square footage a furring strip application will make the wall assembly much less intrusive.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

sublime2 10-11-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brockmiera
I am on the demolition phase of my basement remodel. The basement walls right now have 1x2 furring strips vertically every 16" O.C. attached directly to the basement walls. I want to put in extruded poly probably 1" on all exterior basement walls for a good thermal break.

My question is this. Should I frame a 2x4 stud wall just to the inside of the poly or should I use new furring strips vertically to attach drywall to?

My initial thought is to go with 2x4 wall but in the interest of saving valuable square footage a furring strip application will make the wall assembly much less intrusive.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Frame it.
The space lose is minimal.
I would not rely on furring strips nailed to brick/ concrete to support the rock.

brockmiera 10-11-2012 11:44 AM

yeah I was leaning that way anyway.

Another question. The bathroom before has tile glued directly to the wall with some sort of superman adhesive. Once I get all of that old tile off is it acceptable to put tile back on the walls?

My original thought was to use a shower membrane like Kurdi liner on the wall then tile to that. Or should I put up the rigid board insulation - shower membrane - then tile?

I really want to do this right but framing a new wall against the exterior wall will require me to move a lot of plumbing. I have a picture too if that will help.

brockmiera 10-11-2012 11:55 AM

Bathroom Wall
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the wall in question.

drtbk4ever 10-11-2012 12:27 PM

You are referring to the tiled wall with the window? I assume it is an outside wall given the insulation and window and that is part of the shower. Is that correct?

Is it a 2X4 wall now?

brockmiera 10-11-2012 12:30 PM

Yes sir. Outside wall - no framing now. Just tile thinset to concrete wall. that window will be in the shower.

woodworkbykirk 10-11-2012 03:45 PM

framing fixes a few issues.

1) you get better insulation in the wall
2) easier to run electrical and plumbing
3) create a straight wall as opposed to furring strips applied to the foundation... telegraphs the irregularities in the wall.

drtbk4ever 10-11-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brockmiera
Yes sir. Outside wall - no framing now. Just tile thinset to concrete wall. that window will be in the shower.

Ouch, that isn't ideal. Could you frame any kind of wall there without impacting your plumbing?

brockmiera 10-11-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drtbk4ever (Post 1029057)
Ouch, that isn't ideal. Could you frame any kind of wall there without impacting your plumbing?

Yeah I suppose I could go with a 1/2" Extruded Polystyrene board / 2x2 framing (or furring strips glued to the Poly board)

I'm curious to find out if anyone thinks using the 1/2" Poly Board with either a concrete board / membrane set up or just membrane would work???

brockmiera 10-12-2012 11:11 AM

So after much research I've decided to go with a 1/2" Kerdi Board product. The is a polystyrene board with the kerdi membrane already applied to it. Seems like the best of both worlds. Thanks for the feedback. I'll start posting my progress on another feed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved