Studs Too Close Together For Structured Wiring Panel - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Studs too close together for structured wiring panel

I'm trying to put an electrical panel inside a stud bay in a finished laundry room to serve as my central control panel for a structured wiring setup.

As it turns out, the one perfect bay is too narrow for my panel by 1/4". It's perfect because it lines up with an upstairs wall for the chase to the upstairs/attic and no there are no existing AC lines or plumbing to work around.

I'm actually putting 2 panels side by side in adjacent bays. One bay is ~16.75 on center and the other is ~15.25. So I have some room to work with on one side.

The wall separates the laundry room from the garage and is framed w/ 2x6's and sheathed with particle board and drywall. I'm planning to install the panel on the interior side which is only sheathed with drywall.

Any ideas on how to fix this without taking down the drywall? I only need about 1/4" to 3/8" more width. I've thought about trying to shave the middle stud (circular saw would only go about half way in depth), or cut it out and replace it with a thinner but stronger piece of plywood (but this would have to be mended into the stud somehow).

I already have the panels and REALLY want to use this location.

Would a shaved stud pass code? I could always push the panel on in the wide bay as far outboard as possible and then mend the stud with 1/2" plywood or something - not sure if that's needed?

By the way - whatever you do, don't search for "shaved stud" on google.

Help?

Advertisement

juengl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
MXer

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by juengl4 View Post
I'm trying to put an electrical panel inside a stud bay in a finished laundry room to serve as my central control panel for a structured wiring setup.

As it turns out, the one perfect bay is too narrow for my panel by 1/4". It's perfect because it lines up with an upstairs wall for the chase to the upstairs/attic and no there are no existing AC lines or plumbing to work around.

I'm actually putting 2 panels side by side in adjacent bays. One bay is ~16.75 on center and the other is ~15.25. So I have some room to work with on one side.

The wall separates the laundry room from the garage and is framed w/ 2x6's and sheathed with particle board and drywall. I'm planning to install the panel on the interior side which is only sheathed with drywall.

Any ideas on how to fix this without taking down the drywall? I only need about 1/4" to 3/8" more width. I've thought about trying to shave the middle stud (circular saw would only go about half way in depth), or cut it out and replace it with a thinner but stronger piece of plywood (but this would have to be mended into the stud somehow).

I already have the panels and REALLY want to use this location.

Would a shaved stud pass code? I could always push the panel on in the wide bay as far outboard as possible and then mend the stud with 1/2" plywood or something - not sure if that's needed?

By the way - whatever you do, don't search for "shaved stud" on google.

Help?

Advertisement

3 legged dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

One way to do it would be to get a large spade bit and drill to the depth you need all along the stud, then chisel out the wood in between. Time consuming, but easy to do.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
One way to do it would be to get a large spade bit and drill to the depth you need all along the stud, then chisel out the wood in between. Time consuming, but easy to do.
Ron
That's not a bad idea... Time consuming as you said, but very do-able.

I need to find out how much of a notch I can put in the stud before it would fail an inspection... I'd still plan to mend in a 1/2" thick piece of plywood on the opposite side from the notch, but I'm not sure how that would go over with an inspector...

Thanks for the idea!
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

one of the reciprocating jamb saws would work
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

this is a perfect application for one of those Fein (or whatever brand you prefer) oscillating saws.

shaved stud passing code? No idea but since this is the house/garage demising wall, I would presume it is also a firewall so be sure to maintain any fire rating that may apply as well.

Quote:
By the way - whatever you do, don't search for "shaved stud" on google
laughed so hard my wife made me tell her why. Then she laughed just as hard.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
this is a perfect application for one of those Fein (or whatever brand you prefer) oscillating saws.
Do they make blades long enough to do a 2x6? If not, it would at least get me most of the way and I could chisel the rest.

I'm taking a long hard look to find a better spot to put this thing. An interior wall would be much easier, but I don't have any that line up with the upstairs walls to get to the attic. I could try and run from one wall to another between ceiling joists but I'm not too keen about 20 or so data/RG6 cables laying on the ceiling drywall.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

I do not think there is a blade long enough but what you can do is cut as far as the blade will reach and then cut perpendicular in to remove that piece. You will then have a stepped face where you would be able to start cutting again and on as you need.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I do not think there is a blade long enough but what you can do is cut as far as the blade will reach and then cut perpendicular in to remove that piece. You will then have a stepped face where you would be able to start cutting again and on as you need.
I got ya. Just nibble as much as I can get in one pass and then repeat...

Of course I don't own that tool. But it sure looks like something I'd like to own! I wonder if anybody around here (Portland, OR) rents one?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #10

Dremel, Craftsman, Rockwell, and others are making them now that the patent and exclusivity has exprired. I have the one from Dremel - was about $100. Don't use it often, but it a great tool that will do jobs no other will.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

I am pretty sure Harbor Freight has one for $39. Not positive though I thought I saw one there. Not a bad investment to complete the job.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
I am pretty sure Harbor Freight has one for $39. Not positive though I thought I saw one there. Not a bad investment to complete the job.
Second on the Harbor Freight for $39. Not a tool that I expect to last forever but for a few uses it is great. I bought one on a whim but have used it a few times and it has saved me a bunch of time and a little blood.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #13

you are only tryining for panel depth not the full 2x6?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
you are only tryining for panel depth not the full 2x6?
The panels I'm using are actually surplus panels that are designed for 5.5" recess. Perfect for a 2x6 framed wall.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

If Ron or Naps ideas were not enough--Here is one more!

Get your self a cheap (Harbor freight?) Trim router with a 3/4" strait cutting bit to remove the majority of the wood--The small base should get you close--

Finish the job with a spade bit and chisel like Ron suggested--Or Naps idea!!

Good luck! Those FINE CUT saws look like a real handy special use tool--At $110. or so might be a nice addition to the tool pile!--MIKE--

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel , structured wiring , studs