Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stud on top of Hex Tapcon? Any advice...

I have mounted my PT plates to my concrete floor with Construction Adhesive and Tapcons. I am very please with how it turned out and it is very solid.
As what usually happens, I figured another (maybe better) way to put my studs - anyway, this would move them so that they would be almost directly over the tapcons (which I also did 16 oc and with my luck they are in the exact place I don't want them to be). I am not interested in unscrewring all of the tapcons and shifting them (or really anymore concrete drilling ).

So, I am wondering if there is some compelling reason (code - IRC2006/structure/etc) to not have the studs on top of the Tapcons? They are hex tapcons - can I just bore out a little hole where the stud may hit the hex head? This is a wall (non loadbearing) being built in basement against foundation wall (with a chase around plumbing).

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
JB

jbatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You could add a 2nd PT sole plate on top of the first. The easiest way I found to do this was to place the 2nd plate on top of the 1st, hammer it once over each existing screw to make a minor impression in the wood, flip it over and drill a hole big enough to fit the existing screw, then nail the new plate on top of the 1st.

I recently did this because I had a wall that was going to require 8'1" studs, and found it cheaper to just double up the sole plate and use 8' studs cut to length.

I checked with the building inspector who said it was find to double up sole plates, and while the 2nd plate isn't REQUIRED to be PT (since it's not in direct contact with the concrete), he (and other here in this forum) indicated it was a good idea to use PT for the 2nd sole plate as well.

Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 04-19-2010 at 02:22 PM.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HooKooDooKu For This Useful Post:
jbatl (04-30-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #3

Thanks, HooKooDooKu.
I didn't even think about that. That would solve the problem (that extra little bit may allow me to but the cheaper/shorter studs at HD).
What would be the best way to fasten them? A couple of 10d (Galv) nails every 16?
Thanks again for your quick reply...
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #4

I used 3" galv nails driven at slightly different angles along the lenght of the board. That way, I didn't risk driving the nail all the way through both boards. One every 16" inches is all I think I did.
jbatl (04-30-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

The doubled sole plate will also give you much more nailing for the baseboard. Anytime we were going to be installing large baseboard (taller than normal) we always nailed in some left over scraps of wood between the studs... sometimes, in effect, creating a triple sole plate.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
jbatl (04-30-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

See http://woodworking.about.com/od/safe...eACQLumber.htm
for a full discussion regarding the use of galvanized nails with pressure treated lumber. The short version is that many galvanized nails are NOT SUITABLE for use with modern ACQ pressure treated lumber. You need fasteners that are specifically designed to work with ACQ lumber, such as stainless steel or hot dip galvanized fasteners specifically manufactured for use with PT lumber.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
jbatl (04-30-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
See http://woodworking.about.com/od/safe...eACQLumber.htm
for a full discussion regarding the use of galvanized nails with pressure treated lumber. The short version is that many galvanized nails are NOT SUITABLE for use with modern ACQ pressure treated lumber. You need fasteners that are specifically designed to work with ACQ lumber, such as stainless steel or hot dip galvanized fasteners specifically manufactured for use with PT lumber.
Gota love government when they mandate the elimination of one hazzard and create a new one.
jbatl (04-30-2010)
Old 04-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #8

thanks all for your comments.
Okay..so this brings up somehting I have wondered about.
I have heard about the hot dipped / galvanized / etc stuff...
Check out this pict...notice the titles of the Product (Hot Dipped vs just Exterior Galvanized)...
But, it is the same product (look at UPC - the same)...these are at Home Depot...
How confusing :-)

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jamie/Desktop/12d.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #9

Try that again...

Check out this pict...notice the titles of the Product (Hot Dipped vs just Exterior Galvanized)...
But, it is the same product (look at UPC - the same)...these are at Home Depot...

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy264/jbatl/12d.jpg
Old 04-22-2010, 02:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatl View Post
Try that again...

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy264/jbatl/12d.jpg
I wonder if ACQ has been around long enough that modern galvanized nails are now ACQ compatable. If so, then this is just a case of old and new boxes sitting on the shelf.

jbatl (04-30-2010)