DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Stud spacing when installing enclosure not enough (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/stud-spacing-when-installing-enclosure-not-enough-98612/)

az_r2d1 03-16-2011 04:00 PM

Stud spacing when installing enclosure not enough
 
I am installing an enclosure to have all the wiring (cat5e, rg6 , etc) all meet up in my house. I cut the hole in the drywall but the enclosure seems to be a tiny bit bigger than the space between the studs. It's a 42 inch tall enclosure. So now what do I do ?
I was thinking of shaving off the studs a little bit, what tool would I use for that ? Space between the studs is 14 inches, cabinet seems just a tad over that.

Thanks, great forum !

rditz 03-16-2011 04:17 PM

so is the enclosure too wide or too tall??

also, from your description it sounds as though you are trying to sink the enclosure into the stud cavity.

what are dimensions of your box??

if you are hitting a horizontal brace, cut the nails that fasten it to your vertical studs with a sawzall and then run the sawall between it and the drywall on the other side.. it should come right out..

what is on the back side of the wall you are putting the enclosure on??

pictures...


rod

az_r2d1 03-16-2011 04:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rditz (Post 610777)
so is the enclosure too wide or too tall??

also, from your description it sounds as though you are trying to sink the enclosure into the stud cavity.

what are dimensions of your box??

if you are hitting a horizontal brace, cut the nails that fasten it to your vertical studs with a sawzall and then run the sawall between it and the drywall on the other side.. it should come right out..

what is on the back side of the wall you are putting the enclosure on??

pictures...


rod

Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear enough. The enclosure has to sit between two vertical studs (sunken in , like you said). The enclosure is 14 1/8 inches and the stud space is exactly 14. It's very ridgid.
No horizontal studs there.
The backside is also drywall.
Attached are some pictures.

WillK 03-16-2011 04:58 PM

I think I'd have to go with a belt sander on this one.

VIPlumber 03-16-2011 06:26 PM

Personally I'd use a circular saw, set to maximum depth, and a hammer n' chisel.

az_r2d1 03-16-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillK (Post 610803)
I think I'd have to go with a belt sander on this one.

Not a bad idea ! Thanks.

Would a oscillating multi tool work as well ?

kwikfishron 03-16-2011 06:48 PM

I’d filet it with a Stihl but that’s just me.

EDIT: Don't try this at home!

rditz 03-17-2011 09:42 AM

the circular saw is going to get you closer sooner than anything else.. the problem is that the depth of the 2x4 is greater than the depth of the cutting ability of the saw...

i would consider the next stud cavity to see if it has the space in it... if the studs are truly on 16" centres, then you should have 14 1/2" between them, leaving enough space for your box. I think that the cavity you are working in is smaller because it is at the end of your wall or they are shy of 16" centre.

rod

tcleve4911 03-17-2011 10:04 AM

Before you go sanding & shaving, oscillating and chainsawing, take a scrap of 2x4 and cut it to 14-3/8".
Set it inside the cavity at an angle and beat on it to spread the studs.
You should get a screw 'pop' but just remove the screw, reinstall and mud.

There's always a little play in a single stud.

Like rditz says....16"o.c. should leave a 14-1/2" cavity

rditz 03-17-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcleve4911 (Post 611222)
take a scrap of 2x4 and cut it to 14-3/8".
Set it inside the cavity at an angle and beat on it to spread the studs.

i like that approach... do this top and bottom, should work

tcleve4911 03-17-2011 10:15 AM

Looking at your profile pic with the dozer, I knew you'd like the "beat on it" approach.....:laughing:

Get me my persuader.......

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A..._YU8kLqAFt3JL1

rditz 03-17-2011 10:27 AM

although not a professional contractor, I do a lot of different things...

I actually bought the tractor not running after it had been stored for 6 years and had it operating within a few weeks...

I have had to be creative from time to time and always like to learn new "tricks" to accomplish the goal at hand... this site is great for that and also seeing what NOT to do..

thanks

rod

JCarsten 03-17-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcleve4911 (Post 611222)
Before you go sanding & shaving, oscillating and chainsawing, take a scrap of 2x4 and cut it to 14-3/8".
Set it inside the cavity at an angle and beat on it to spread the studs.
You should get a screw 'pop' but just remove the screw, reinstall and mud.

There's always a little play in a single stud.

Like rditz says....16"o.c. should leave a 14-1/2" cavity

Yes- the ole' "hammer-saw". If you only need to go 1/8", this is your best bet.

kwikfishron 03-17-2011 05:09 PM

Sure you can always beat it in if you donít mind a little drywall repair.:huh:

loftezy 03-17-2011 06:23 PM

If you could get your hands on a 3.5" router bit, that could work. That is, if you could control the router.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.