Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

Stud Position? Under Floor Joists?

I'm in the middle of a 2-story addition to my house. I'm finished with the framing of the 1st floor....based on past experience, I made sure all of my studs were 16" OC as measured from the corner....it was a PIA ripping OSB sheets on my garage to fit the alingment of the studs.

But now as I'm ready to start setting floor joists for the 2nd floor, I'm realizing that they do not sit exactly on top of wall studs. I have some large beams (PSL, 3.5 x 11.25) in specific locations...those have 4x posts directly under them. But on one wall (2x6), the joists are about 6" off center from the stud below it. On the other wall, about 2".

Also important....I need to make sure the joists are in proper 4' and 8' centers so that my floor sheathing lines up. I'm using 1 1/8 T&G....stuff is a little expensive....I don't want to have to hack off a couple of feet and throw it away because I'm a little short on reaching a joist...

Funny.....no matter how much you measure...still make mistakes...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

According to our codes (considerable snow loads) provided that you have a double top plate at the top of the first floor walls it is not necessary to line up the joists with the stud spacing. This is not the case with posts supporting beams which must have support directly below.
cheers

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 268

Without a diagram to go by, I assume this is an addition to one end of the house. I would have pulled 15 1/4"(set ahead) from the opposite end and work toward the house.
Also assuming the ceiling joists will span the whole distance, marked the top plates accordingly before standing those walls. Moot point now since the walls are already up. Does code say joists must be stacked?
How'd one wall get 6 inches off?
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
JOATMON

Part of the addition is 18' deep....then it kicks in to 15'. The upstairs stays the full 18'....part of the reason is that I had a limit on the ground floor due to the distance to the detached garage....have to maintain that backup area....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 162

If you want the joists and the studs to form an straight continuous load path, it sounds like you'll have to add extra 2x6 studs under the second floor joists. Leave the existing studs where they are so that you will have something to nail the sheathing to without having to cut the sheathing.

Yes, this will cost you extra in material and time but this sounds like the only way to get the joists and studs to match without tearing things down and starting over.

Personally, I don't think what you have now is a big problem but I don't have much framing experience on a two story home. Also, having the joists matched with the studs may be good framing practice but I don't remember reading anything in the IBC about it.

Last edited by loftezy; 10-13-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: clarification
loftezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 510

As long as you have 2 top plates your fine. Stud joist alignment is primarily for running the mechanicals. Leaving maximum continuous space. You may have to move a few if you need to run HVAC through the wall.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

sixeighten is right, 2 top plates, then no need to stack joists right on studs.

I think the 1 1/8 T&G is over-kill but hey, it's your money not mine.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
sixeighten is right, 2 top plates, then no need to stack joists right on studs.

I think the 1 1/8 T&G is over-kill but hey, it's your money not mine.

Andy.
I had that discussion with the architect.....he pointed out that since we plan to keep this house for a long time....and my OCD attention to detail (minus the mistakes), the first time I heard a squeek, he knows I would be wanting to yank out ceiling drywall to fix it....(he is right)

AND....when I did my garage, I used 3/4" T&G....even with floor joists 12" OC, it was not as stiff as I wanted....so I added another layer of 1/2" OSB....big difference.....

Hence, I don't mind the extra expense...which worked out to about $8/sheet more.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

I would not think that OCD has anyting to do with building exept you pay more. It sounds like you want to have a perfect world when building, that is not the real world. If you are questioning the waste or the placement when studs and sheeting are put in place then you may want to hire a person to do just that. If you are trying to run a job then do it, to me it sounds like you think you know more then a person that is drawing the job and the person building the job. IMO you lay out the 1st floor studs taking in the doors, windows, beams, post, stairs ect., into consideration . Then run the rim and layout the joists along with plumbing and hvac. This is just a basic run but I am sure you went beyond this and calculated the waste per 2x that was not used for fire blocking and backing.