Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

stud locations and more in bathroom

While looking for studs in the bathroom I was picking up something in the middle of the wall. At its narrowest it is 7" tall and at its widest it is 15" tall. Is this "blocking" or am I picking up something else?

Shown in the pictures are the stud locations, the horizontal area where I am picking up something, and the cheap electronic Stanley stud finder that I was using.

I'm putting up towel rods, and if there is wood behind there I wont use plastic anchors, I might use these metal anchors that go through drywall only or drywall with a stud behind. Or maybe just wood screws. Should I stab something small into the wall at the same point where the anchor will go to see what is behind there?
Attached Images

djgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

If there is no plumbing in that wall just use metal screw in Sheetrock anchors. That way is doesn't matter what is back there, it will go in. I bet it is that crappy stud finder lying to you. I don't know why anything that shape would be in a wall.

Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

looks as tho the top line of the green tape could be blocking, as for the lower tape line looks like an electric line for the other side of the wall, or a plumbing pipe. just my 2cents
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgrant View Post
While looking for studs in the bathroom I was picking up something in the middle of the wall. At its narrowest it is 7" tall and at its widest it is 15" tall. Is this "blocking" or am I picking up something else?

Shown in the pictures are the stud locations, the horizontal area where I am picking up something, and the cheap electronic Stanley stud finder that I was using.

I'm putting up towel rods, and if there is wood behind there I wont use plastic anchors, I might use these metal anchors that go through drywall only or drywall with a stud behind. Or maybe just wood screws. Should I stab something small into the wall at the same point where the anchor will go to see what is behind there?
I think you should stick the screw that came with the mounting hardware into the stud and be done with it.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
I think you should stick the screw that came with the mounting hardware into the stud and be done with it.
Most towel bars come in 18", 24", or 30". If the studs are 16" OC the best case is they'll still have to use a drywall anchor on one end
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post

You're making way more out of this than you need to. Put it where you want it. If theres wood behind it ...fine. If not use an anchor.

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote