Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Beer Advocate

Rewards Points: 150

Stud cross members?

Do you have to install cross members between your studs? I have heard its required for "fireblocking" but to me it doesn't really make sense. My walls all sit in a bit from the foundation. And then they have the top plate gap sealed off from the next floor. Two reasons I asked are because of lazyness cutting and nailing all these in, and because I figure the rolled insulation will need to be cut up in a bunch of parts to fit between each stud.

Thanks!

Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
CT Builder

Rewards Points: 25

Stud cross members?

fireblocking shall be provided to cut off all concealed draft openings both vertical and horizontal and to form an effective fire barrier between stories, and between a top story and the roof space.

i hear you on the laziness part and the PITA for inso install. if you have a top plate and a bottom plate as part of your walls anatomy and walls do not exceed 10' in height you should not require the fireblocking.

however... any penetrations.. top or bottom must be fireblocked..including any pipes wires or holes. for small penetrations you can use a firestop from a caulk gun, for larger voids you should consider solid wood blocking 2x material or 2 layers of 1x material. also odd shaped voids can be filled with a special fire insulation.

-Daryl

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Beer Advocate

Stud cross members?

Thanks Daryl!

My walls do not exceed 8 feet. So I should be ok to skip out of the cross members. I have been scratching my head at some of the awkward spots I am coming across. Since my walls sit in about 1" I used a 1x2 wood spacer nailed between the top plate and the foundation. Hopefully this is good enough for the normal area's. I do have some weird corners and some areas around pipes to fill in that I think are to big for caulk. Can I stuff it with some special insulation instead of trimming out and custom fitting wood?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
CT Builder

Stud cross members?

there is a fantastic product made by Thermafiber.

http://www.thermafiber.com/uFolder/uploads/TF886.pdf

"Install THERMAFIBER Sound Attenuation Fire Blankets in stud cavities of sound-rated partitions and where
required to achieve fire-rated design. Friction fit securely between studs. Butt ends of blankets closely
together and fill all voids"

i am uncertain if home depot or lowes carries such a product but any lumber yard shopuld be able to have in stock or at the very least can order it.

if you can take some pics of the areas in question and post them i am sure you would get better direction.

-Daryl
Old 03-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Stud cross members?

8' walls will not be required to have mid level fire blocking, but it will still be required at the bottom of any furr downs and stair stringers/landings. Around here, in residential, most inspectors will let you pack around the pipe with fiberglass insulation (paper removed) , and fill with regular latex caulk.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Beer Advocate

Stud cross members?

Thanks Daryl for the link, I will try to hunt some of that down.

When you say pack around pipes "then" caulk, where are you sticking the caulk at?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
CT Builder

Stud cross members?

no caulk required with the thermafiber!!!
It is a "friction fit"

see the quote in my post above..

"Friction fit securely between studs"

-Daryl
Old 03-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Beer Advocate

Stud cross members?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
no caulk required with the thermafiber!!!
It is a "friction fit"

see the quote in my post above..

"Friction fit securely between studs"

-Daryl

That sounds perfect for all those "odd" ball places. One thing I have left to ask, do you have to caulk where the wood butts up against the foundation wall? Obviously no matter how flush it is, it wouldn't be air tight so to speak. but it seems no one does that when not using a spacer to fill the gap do they? Looking at all the walls done last night I was worried I would need to go back and caulk all the walls.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Stud cross members?

If you desire to use any kind of fire-blocking insulation, check a local building supply company that specializes in drywall supplies.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote