Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #1

Share |

Stud alignment in staggered wall

I'm creating a staggered wall from an existing wall using 2x2 to fur out. I'm ready to place the studs in the wall, but am wondering if there is a 'trick' in the placement to properly accommodate the sheetrock (2 layers 5/8", 1st layer horizontal, 2nd layer vertical).

The existing studs are already at 16" OC, so, after my first vertical perimeter fur-out, I planned on starting my first stud at 8" OC, then 16" OC from that point on.

Of course, placing the studs that way means that the first sheets if drywall won't end on a stud, but will end @ 8" past the first stud (in fact, there is no way to end @ 16" center).

So my question is: Is the right (and proper) way to accomplish this to cut the last 8" off the first sheets of both layers, and continuing from that point or am I complicating matter because I'm missing the obvious?

Thanks,
Mark

rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #2

If I may ask, why 2 layers separated by 2x2s? Why vert then horiz? What is the diff, and what are you trying to accomplish? Sounds interesting, but I am confused on a few things. Yes, cut the sheets so they end on a "stud".

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
If I may ask, why 2 layers separated by 2x2s? Why vert then horiz? What is the diff, and what are you trying to accomplish? Sounds interesting, but I am confused on a few things. .
Apologies for the confusion. I seem to have skimmed over a few details. The side of the 'existing wall' that I'm working on has no sheetrock. I'm converting it to a 2x4 staggered wall with 2x2's around the perimiter, then populating it with decoupled 2x4 studs in order to attach 2 layers of 5/8" drywall with GreenGlue in between the sheets.

I'm soundproofing the wall and it's recommended that the 2nd layer overlap the seams of the first layer.

Quote:
Yes, cut the sheets so they end on a "stud"
Thanks. After I posted that, I realized it was rather obvious . Thanks for your patient response.

Mark
Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightit View Post
I'm soundproofing the wall and it's recommended that the 2nd layer overlap the seams of the first layer.
Mark
Oh. That explains it. With the horiz/vert, won't the 8' seams match? (2 verts end at 8', so does 1 horiz.) You could stagger the sheets vertically, too, and have no matching seams. First one gets cut off 16"; put the scrap on the opposite end, if possible. Good luck. Be sure to seal air paths, too; elect outlets, under doors, etc. Then the neighbors won't hear you drumming to Led Zepplin.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Oh. That explains it. With the horiz/vert, won't the 8' seams match? (2 verts end at 8', so does 1 horiz.) You could stagger the sheets vertically, too, and have no matching seams. First one gets cut off 16"; put the scrap on the opposite end, if possible. Good luck. Be sure to seal air paths, too; elect outlets, under doors, etc. Then the neighbors won't hear you drumming to Led Zepplin.
Yes, some of the seams will align unless, as you suggest, there is a bit of 'sheet-staggering'. And, as you also suggest, I have a case of putty pads for outlets and such, a case of sound acoustic sealant (basically 50 yr. caulk) for all seams, including around the perimeter of both layers of sheetrock (includes between bottom of both layers sheetrock and concrete, treated 2x2 and concrete, all sheetrock seams...anywhere that sound could leak through).

Additionally, there will be a solid core door with a sealing threshold, r-13 in the wall and blocking (above the wall between joists) of 2x8, sheetrock, GG, sheetrock to prevent sound flanking from or to the adjacent room.

Thanks again for your helpful and gracious responses.

Mark
Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #6

you've got it schnockered. good luck. j

Tags
soundproofing, staggered, wall