Stucco Surface - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stucco Surface

Folks, new here and looking forward to a long relationship.

I'm pretty experienced at doing all my own work, but I moved into a 10 year-old stucco surfaced house and have questions.

This is typical three-coat stucco over sheathing. Looks like a good quality job. I've done some research on how stucco "breathes", and shouldn't typically be painted, etc, and have a few questions about it.

Two questions:

1. I've noticed that there are slight gaps (very narrow) between the stucco and the window trim frame. Should I seal these to keep water out? Note that I had to replace several sillnoses due to some rot that had invaded the ends of the sillnoses, so I'm concerned to make sure I keep the surfaces dry.

2. The stucco is discolored. What's a good way to clean it? Is pressure washing safe with stucco? Is there any way to change the color, or is any kind of new surface coat out of the question?

Thanks for your thoughts. If anyone knows of a comprehensive site for stucco knowledge, please let me know.

Cheers--

Advertisement

tbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Stucco Surface

STucco breathes until it is painted. I like to paint stucco. I prefer my colors to remain constant wet or dry. To change the color without painting you need to add another color coat or fog coat over the top.

Caulk the top and side cracks but not the bottom.

Repair and seal the ends of your "sillnoses." We call them "ears".

Advertisement

kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Stucco Surface

Hi Tbently,

Don't try to pressure wash stucco or other similiar coatings. This is NOT a DIY project. One mistake and you could easily cause thousands of dollars in damages.

Vinyl siding, brick and many other surfaces can be done by a DIY'er with some time and effort and even that could result in problems. I would never suggest a home owner trying this though.
HenryBockman is offline   Reply With Quote